This is one of those recipes that does not need too much of an explanation in order for you to imagine how delicious these will taste or how cheesy these will look when biting into them. Who doesn't love cheese? One of the most exciting parts of this meal was that it was so very simple to make. It really is just adding all of the ingredients together in one bowl, chilling, frying and voila, you are done.
- 2 ounces feta cheese
- 3 ounces smoked gouda cheese (grated)
- 3 ounces sharp cheddar cheese (grated)
- 1 egg (plus 1 egg white)
- 3 tablespoons panko bread crumbs
- 1 splash of milk
- To Taste: pepper
- For coating: flour (all-purpose, for coating)
- 3 inches of vegetable oil (for frying)
- Add the feta, smoked gouda, and cheddar cheese into a medium mixing bowl. Add in eggs, bread crumbs, milk, and pepper and mix all ingredients together well.
- Place a piece of cling wrap over the bowl and refrigerate mixture for 30 minutes or until the mixture had time to become more firm. This makes it easier to roll cheese into small ball forms and have it stay together.
- In a medium stock pot, bring vegetable oil to a boil.
- Fill a small bowl with the all purpose flour.
- Once cheese mixture is thoroughly chilled, bring bowl out and remove cling wrap. Grab small, one-inch thick amounts of the mixture into your hand and roll into a ball. Coat each ball with enough flour to cover but make sure to shake off any excess. Set aside. Continue this process until all of the mixture is transformed into wonderful cheesy balls.
- Being sure not to overcrowd the pot, place a few cheese balls at a time into the hot oil - be very careful! They will be ready when they are lightly browned. Remove cheese balls with a slotted spoon and place on paper towels so as to soak up the excess oil.
- Squeeze a little lemon juice on these (optional) and serve hot! Enjoy.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||8 g|
|Saturated Fat||3 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||3 g|
|Dietary Fiber||0 g|