The fried chicken slices in these sandwiches take just minutes to cook, and they make absolutely delicious sandwiches.
You might also serve the fried chicken without the sandwich rolls as chicken strips or nuggets with fries or macaroni and cheese.
The spicy and tangy Sriracha mayonnaise is wonderful on the sandwiches, but feel free to use plain mayonnaise, a mustard mayonnaise blend, or ranch dressing. The recipe makes four delicious sandwiches.
- For the Chicken:
- Canola oil (for frying)
- 1 pound boneless chicken breasts*
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce (such as Frank's or Texas Pete)
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (plus more for sprinkling)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon rubbed sage
- Dash ground thyme
- For the Sriracha Mayonnaise:
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha sauce (or to taste)
- For the Sandwiches:
- 4 sandwich rolls (split, lightly buttered, and toasted)
- 4 leaves lettuce (and pickles, tomatoes, and other toppings, as desired)
*Use four thin-sliced cutlets or two 8-ounce chicken breasts, halved horizontally to make four thin cutlets.
Put about 1/2 inch of oil in a large deep skillet. Heat to 350° F
Slice the chicken breasts in half crosswise to make 4 equal sized cutlets.
Put the buttermilk and hot sauce in a shallow wide bowl.
Combine the flour, pepper, salt, garlic powder, onion powder, sage, and thyme in a bowl. Blend well.
Dip a chicken cutlet in the flour mixture, turning to coat lightly. Next dip the cutlet in the buttermilk and hot sauce mixture, turning to coat both sides. Again dip in the flour mixture to coat thoroughly. Repeat with the remaining chicken cutlets.
Put the chicken cutlets in the hot oil and fry for about 3 to 4 minutes on each side, or until the chicken is cooked through.
Meanwhile, combine the mayonnaise and Sriracha sauce, if using. Blend well.
Transfer the cooked chicken pieces to a cooling rack set in a pan or paper towels to drain. Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper.
Arrange chicken on toasted buns with lettuce slices, pickles, and desired toppings, along with Sriracha mayonnaise or sauce of your choice.