|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 11g||14%|
|Saturated Fat 2g||8%|
|Total Carbohydrate 51g||19%|
|Dietary Fiber 6g||23%|
|Total Sugars 3g|
|Vitamin C 24mg||120%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
These fried garlic potatoes make a tasty side dish to serve with steaks, grilled chicken, and fish. The unique thing about these garlic potatoes is that whole, unpeeled garlic is cooked with the potatoes, and then it is peeled, crushed, and added back to the potatoes. A small amount of lemon juice along with parsley and onions round this recipe out for flavor and texture. They are versatile as well with many possibilities for variations.
Potatoes and garlic are such a perfect combination, and this dish is easy to prepare. These fried potatoes make an excellent breakfast, lunch, or dinner side dish.
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
5 to 6 cloves garlic, unpeeled
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon chopped green onions
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
Kosher salt, to taste
Ground pepper, to taste
Gather the ingredients.
Rinse potatoes under cold water; drain and pat dry.
Heat olive oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat.
Add potatoes (should be in a single layer). Cook, turning frequently, for about 10 minutes, or until the potatoes are browned on all sides.
Add garlic; cover and reduce heat to low.
Cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 to 20 minutes, or until potatoes are tender.
Remove garlic; peel skins off.
In a small bowl, crush the garlic then add it back to the potatoes.
Stir in lemon juice.
Add green onion; cook another minute or two, until heated through.
Sprinkle with parsley and season to taste.
- Give the potatoes a dip in boiling water to cut down on frying time. Cube the potatoes and put them in a saucepan; cover with water and place the pan over medium-high heat. As soon as the water comes to a boil, drain the potatoes. Add the potatoes to the skillet and proceed with the recipe.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a skillet. Add 1/4 cup of chopped onions and cook, stirring, until the onion is translucent. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil and the potatoes and proceed with the recipe. Add the green onions or omit them, if desired. Garnish with fresh chopped parsley and season to taste.
- Add about 1/4 cup of chopped bell pepper to the potatoes about 10 minutes before they are done.
- Fry 4 to 6 strips of bacon; drain, crumble, and add to the potatoes just before they're done. Use some of the bacon drippings as part of the cooking oil.
- Add some diced ham to the skillet along with the potatoes.