These "croutons" are a fantastic way to turn that boring salad into something very special. Goat cheese has a delicious tanginess that is even more intense when warmed.
- 8 ounces goat cheese (the firm type, sold in logs)
- 1 pinch cayenne
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 1 large egg (beaten)
- 1 teaspoon milk
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 cup vegetable oil (more or less for deep frying)
- Cut the goat cheese into 8 equal sized cubes. Dust the cheese lightly with the cayenne and black pepper.
- Mix the egg and milk together in a bowl. Gently toss the cheese in the egg until thoroughly coated.
- Roll the cheese in the panko until completely covered. Press the crumbs gently into the surface.
- Once thoroughly coated with crumbs, transfer to the freezer for at least 1 hour before frying.
- Fill a large saucepan with 4 inches of vegetable oil and heat to 350 F.
- Fry the cheese cubes for 3 to 4 minutes, or until well browned. The cheese should soft, but not completely liquefied.
- Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels to drain briefly.
- Serve the croutons warm over any tossed salad.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||38 g|
|Saturated Fat||8 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||23 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|