These crispy tomatoes are a southern favorite for good reason. They are great served as an appetizer, or a side with grilled ribs or steaks. You will not find unripe green tomatoes at the supermarket, you'll need to go to a farmer's market to find some or grow your own—well worth the effort.
- For the Bacon Dipping Sauce:
- 4 slices bacon (chopped)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup cilantro (or parsley, chopped)
- For the Fried Green Tomatoes:
- 4 medium green tomatoes (about 2 pounds)
- 1/2 cup fine cornmeal
- 1/2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter, more if needed
- Make the dipping sauce: Cook the bacon in a medium nonstick skillet over medium heat, stirring often, until brown and crisp. Transfer to a plate line with paper towels to drain. Pour 2 tablespoons of the pan drippings into a medium bowl and let cool. Add the cream and beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until thickened. Transfer the mixture to a serving bowl and stir in the cilantro and bacon pieces. Refrigerate until ready to serve,
- Make the tomatoes: Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with a sheet of parchment paper or waxed paper.
- Using a serrated knife, cut the tomatoes into 1/2-inch thick slices.
- Combine the cornmeal, flour, cayenne, sugar and salt on a plate or sheet of waxed paper. Whisk together the eggs and milk in a shallow bowl.
- Working with one tomato slice at a time, dredge it in the flour mixture, shaking off any excess. then dip the tomato into the egg mixture. Transfer to the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining tomato slices.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the butter and 2 tablespoons of the oil in a 10-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until the butter is melted. Add the tomato slices, three at a time, and cook until golden brown, about 2 1/2 minutes on each side, adding more butter and oil to pan if needed.
- Transfer the tomatoes to a plate lined with several sheets of paper towels. Fry the remaining tomatoes as directed.
- Put all of the tomatoes onto a clean baking sheet and bake until tender, 6 to 10 minutes. Serve hot with the dipping sauce.
Recipe Note and Tips
• The baking time for the tomatoes will vary depending on the size and thickness of the slices.
• Use a spatula to carefully lift the tomatoes to flip while frying, this will help keep the coating intact.
• The fried green tomatoes are great on sandwiches, especially a BLT or grilled cheese.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|