These crispy tomatoes are a southern favorite for good reason. They are great served as an appetizer, or a side with grilled ribs or steaks. You will not find unripe green tomatoes at the supermarket, you'll need to go to a farmer's market to find some or grow your own—well worth the effort.
- For the Bacon Dipping Sauce:
- 4 slices bacon (chopped)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup cilantro (or parsley, chopped)
- For the Fried Green Tomatoes:
- 4 medium green tomatoes (about 2 pounds)
- 1/2 cup fine cornmeal
- 1/2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter, more if needed
1. Make the dipping sauce: Cook the bacon in a medium nonstick skillet over medium heat, stirring often, until brown and crisp. Transfer to a plate line with paper towels to drain. Pour 2 tablespoons of the pan drippings into a medium bowl and let cool. Add the cream and beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until thickened. Transfer the mixture to a serving bowl and stir in the cilantro and bacon pieces.
Refrigerate until ready to serve,
2. Make the tomatoes: Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with a sheet of parchment paper or waxed paper.
3. Using a serrated knife, cut the tomatoes into 1/2-inch thick slices.
4. Combine the cornmeal, flour, cayenne, sugar and salt on a plate or sheet of waxed paper. Whisk together the eggs and milk in a shallow bowl.
5. Working with one tomato slice at a time, dredge it in the flour mixture, shaking off any excess. then dip the tomato into the egg mixture. Transfer to the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining tomato slices.
6. Heat 2 tablespoons of the butter and 2 tablespoons of the oil in a 10-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until the butter is melted. Add the tomato slices, three at a time, and cook until golden brown, about 2 1/2 minutes on each side, adding more butter and oil to pan if needed.
7. Transfer the tomatoes to a plate lined with several sheets of paper towels. Fry the remaining tomatoes as directed.
8. Put all of the tomatoes onto a clean baking sheet and bake until tender, 6 to 10 minutes. Serve hot with the dipping sauce.
Recipe Note and Tips
• The baking time for the tomatoes will vary depending on the size and thickness of the slices.
• Use a spatula to carefully lift the tomatoes to flip while frying, this will help keep the coating intact.
• The fried green tomatoes are great on sandwiches, especially a BLT or grilled cheese.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||34 g|
|Saturated Fat||17 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||11 g|
|Dietary Fiber||6 g|