For a spicier coating, I like to jazz up the seasoned flour with a dash of cayenne and a little Cajun or Creole seasoning.
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh okra pods
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- Vegetable oil for frying (or shortening, part bacon drippings if possible)
- Wash okra; cut off tips and stem ends. Cut pods into 1/4-inch slices.
- Sprinkle the sliced okra with salt and pepper.
- Combine the cornmeal and flour in a wide, shallow bowl or pie plate; roll the sliced okra in the mixture.
- Heat about 4 to 5 tablespoons of oil or shortening in a deep skillet or sauté pan.
- Sauté the okra in the hot fat until golden brown.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||3 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||1 g|
|Dietary Fiber||5 g|