|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
There are many ways in which salt fish is prepared in the Caribbean but the most popular way is fried.
We say fried but what we really mean is sautéed with thyme, lots of onions, tomatoes and hot pepper.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil (or canola oil)
- 1 cup onions (sliced)
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme (leaves removed)
- 1 large clove garlic (crushed)
- 1 cup tomatoes (diced)
- Hot pepper (minced, to taste)
- Salt (to taste)
- 8 ounces de-salted salt fish (broken into small pieces or shredded)
Add oil to a medium skillet and heat over medium heat.
Add onions and sauté until translucent.
Add thyme and cook for 1 minute.
Add garlic, tomatoes, hot pepper, and salt to taste and sauté for 1 to 2 minutes.
Add shredded salt fish, tossing to mix, and reduce heat to low and let cook for 5 to 7 minutes tossing every 2 to 3 minutes.
Fold in green onions 1 minute before the dish is finished. Remove from heat and serve hot or at room temperature.