A sneaky drink that hides tequila behind a creamy blue veil, the frostbite is fun. This simple blue cocktail uses an unusual combination of ingredients that you'll definitely want to try because it gives you a good idea of tequila's full potential in cocktails.
The frostbite recipe is an old favorite that's been around for a few decades (at least) and there are many ways that you can adjust it to fit your personal taste. It always has a tequila base and is accented with chocolate and orange liqueurs. You will want to choose white crème de cacao rather than the "dark" brown version so the blue curaçao can control the drink's color.
Gather the ingredients.
In a cocktail shaker filled with ice, pour the tequila, crème de cacao, blue curaçao, and cream.
Garnish with a maraschino cherry.
Serve and enjoy!
- Silver tequila is probably the best choice for this cocktail. Choose a good mid-range brand that you wouldn't mind drinking straight.
- As with any dairy cocktail, you can adjust the frostbite's creaminess with your choice of cream. For the richest drink, go with regular cream. Milk will produce a light drink, or you can split the difference and pour half and half.
- A white chocolate liqueur is a good substitute for crème de cacao and won't affect the cocktail's color. Look for it from brands like Godiva and Mozart.
- Strain this drink into a chilled cocktail glass for a frostbite martini if you prefer. Just be sure your glass is nice and frosty. Vodka can replace the tequila as well.
- Play around with the ratio of the ingredients to find your perfect mix. Some frostbite recipes pour equal amounts of the liqueurs and cream (1/2 ounce each). Others add just a splash of cream, while some people prefer up to 2 ounces of cream.
- You can also bring a little mint into your frostbite by adding 1/4 ounce of white crème de menthe or peppermint schnapps. Most people enjoy this version with a lot of cream.
- Rather than dairy cream, pour a cream liqueur instead; either Irish cream or RumChata are excellent choices. You can also go with a dairy alternative such as soy or almond milk.