These flavorful chocolate brownies can be topped with the chocolate frosting, or leave them plain. Either way, they're delicious!
- For the Brownies:
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (4 1/2 ounces)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup pecans (or walnuts, chopped)
- For the Chocolate Frosting:
- 1/2 cup butter
- 4 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 pound (about 3 1/2 cups) confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 to 6 tablespoons evaporated milk (or half-and-half, heated)
- Heat oven to 350 F.
- Grease and flour a 9-by-13-by-2-inch baking pan.
- In a mixing bowl with an electric mixer, combine the 1 cup of butter and granulated sugar; beat until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition. Add the 2 1/2 teaspoons of vanilla and blend well.
- In another bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, and cocoa. Stir with a spoon or whisk to blend thoroughly.
- Add the dry ingredients to the first mixture; stir until blended.
- Fold the pecans or walnuts into the batter.
- Spread the batter in the prepared baking pan.
- Bake for about 18 to 24 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool in the pan on a rack for about 5 minutes; invert onto a cake platter or leave them in the pan.
- Melt the 1/2 cup of butter in a saucepan over low heat; add the cocoa powder and stir until smooth.
- Sift confectioners' sugar and add it to the cocoa mixture along with the 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla and 4 tablespoons of hot evaporated milk or half-and-half.
- Working quickly, spoon the warm frosting evenly over the brownies and spread to cover thoroughly.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||15 g|
|Saturated Fat||8 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||4 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|