This frozen chocolate dessert has the texture of velvet -- hence, its name. It's rich, smooth, creamy, and absolutely delicious. This dessert serves a crowd, and it's perfect for entertaining because it must be made ahead of time.
Because the filing isn't ice cream, pudding, or pie filling, it doesn't freeze very hard nor does it melt into a puddle if it sits at room temperature for a while. For best results, remove it from the freezer about 10 minutes before you slice it.
- 1 (14-ounce) package chocolate sandwich cookies, crushed
- 1 (11 -ounce) package milkchocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon peanut or safflower oil
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cupcocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1-1/2 cups (12 ounces) chocolate syrup
- Place the cookie crumbs in a large bowl.
- In a medium microwave-safe bowl, combine chocolate chips, butter, and oil. Microwave on high power for 1 minute. Remove from the microwave and stir. Continue microwaving for 30-second intervals, stirring after each interval, until the mixture is smooth.
- Pour the melted chocolate chip mixture over the cookie crumbs and stir to coat. Spread onto a parchment paper-lined cookie sheet and refrigerate until firm. Break into small pieces and refrigerate again.
- In a medium bowl, combine cream, powdered sugar, cocoa powder, and vanilla and beat until stiff peaks form.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese with the same beaters until soft and fluffy. Gradually beat in the sweetened condensed milk, scraping the sides of the bowl, until fluffy.
- Gradually beat in the chocolate syrup until smooth. Fold in the whipped cream mixture.
- Spread about 2/3 of the cookie crumbs in the bottom of a 13" x 9" glass baking dish. Top with the chocolate cream mixture and top with remaining crumbs.
- Cover and freeze until firm, about 4 to 6 hours. Store, covered, in the freezer.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||52 g|
|Saturated Fat||31 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||15 g|
|Dietary Fiber||7 g|