This upside-down fruit cocktail cake is a spongy, relatively light cake with a fruity topping. Use canned fruit cocktail or chop an assortment of fruits separately.
We used a combination of peaches, pineapple, and canned sweet dark cherries. We would have used bright red maraschino cherries if we had them, but this turned out very good.
See the variations for a pineapple or peach upside down cake.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, packed, light or dark
- 1 cup fruit cocktail or assorted chopped canned fruit, well drained
- 1 cup sifted cake flour, 4 ounces
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Heat the oven to 325 F (160 C/Gas 3).
- Put the butter in a 9-inch square baking pan and place it in the oven until the butter has melted. Sprinkle the brown sugar over the butter. Spoon the fruit mixture over the brown sugar. Set aside.
- In a bowl combine the cake flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Add the egg yolks to the beaten whites and beat until well blended.
- Gradually beat the granulated sugar into the egg mixture.
- Fold dry ingredients into the egg and sugar mixture and then stir in the cold water and vanilla until well blended.
- Pour the batter over the fruit.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 45 to 55 minutes, or until there is no jiggle in the center.
- Cool in pan for 10 minutes.
- Run a sharp knife around the edge of the cake. Make sure the cake sides are completely loosened from the pan. Invert the cake onto a large serving plate.*
- Store leftovers covered, in the refrigerator.
*Place the large serving plate — upside-down — over the cake and then turn it upside-down, cake and all. Carefully lift the pan off of the cake. If any fruit remains in the pan, scrape it out onto the top of the cake.
- Pineapple Upside-Down Cake Instead of fruit cocktail, arrange 9 pineapple slices on the butter and brown sugar mixture in the pan. Place a stemmed maraschino cherry in each pineapple ring. Proceed with the batter preparation and bake as directed.
- Peach Upside-Down Cake Arrange peach slices over the butter and brown sugar mixture in the pan. Proceed with the batter preparation and bake as directed.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||8 g|
|Saturated Fat||4 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||3 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|