These fruitcake cookies are filled with pecans, candied fruits, and dates, but feel free to vary the recipe a bit. I used candied red and green cherries and raisins in the cookies pictured, along with chopped walnuts.
- Preheat the oven to 400°. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or a silicone cooking mat, or grease them lightly.
- In a mixing bowl with an electric mixer cream the shortening and sugar until light. Add the egg and vanilla and beat until well blended.
- Reserve about 1 tablespoon of flour in a bowl to toss with the fruit.
- Combine the remaining flour with the salt and baking soda. Add the dry ingredients to the creamed mixture, alternating with buttermilk.
- Toss fruits in the bowl the reserved flour. Fold in the floured fruits and chopped pecans.
- Drop onto the prepared baking sheets with a tablespoon or small cookie scoop, leaving about 1 1/2 inches between cookies.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 8 to 12 minutes or until the bottoms are browned. The time will depend on the size of cookies.
- Store in an airtight container.
- Add about 1 teaspoon of cinnamon and 1/4 teaspoon each of allspice and nutmeg to the batter for a spiced cookie.
- Make the cookies with all or part brown sugar.
- Replace some of the fruits and nuts with raisins, dried cranberries, or walnuts.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||4 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||2 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|