These delicious marinated grilled chicken sandwiches are topped with shredded cheese, bacon, and so much more. Ideal for a quick weeknight meal, game day events, or weekend gatherings.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, flattened to 1/2 inch thickness
- 8 slices of bacon, cooked and crumbled (you can leave as strips if preferred)
- 2 spring onions, finely chopped
- juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons/30 mL olive oil
- 1 teaspoon/5 mL salt
- 1/2 teaspoon/2.5 mL dried marjoram
- 1 1/2 cups/360 mL shredded lettuce
- 1 1/2 cups/360 mL shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- 1/2 cup/120 mL sour cream
- 3/4 cup/180 mL mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons/30 mL mustard
- 4 hoagie rolls or 8 thick sliced bread, toasted
1. To flatten chicken breasts, place them between two sheets of parchment paper and using a kitchen mallet or rolling pin, lightly hit at the thickest part of the breast moving outward. Place into resealable plastic bag. Combine olive oil, lemon juice, salt, and marjoram in bowl. Pour over chicken, making sure to work it into the meat. Seal bag and place into refrigerator for 30-45 minutes.
2. Preheat grill for medium-high heat.
3. Remove chicken from bag and place onto grill. Cook for 5-7 minutes per side. Once chicken has reached a safe temperature of 165 degrees F (75 degrees C) in the thickest part of meat (it should not be pink, but opaque and the juices run clear), remove from heat and place onto a platter.
3. Combine mayonnaise with mustard and store in an air tight container until ready to use. Will keep for 2 days.
4. To assemble sandwiches, apply mayonnaise-mustard mixture, shredded lettuce, and tomato slices to bottom half of bun. Place breast on top, then shredded cheese, a dollop of sour cream, green onions, and finally bacon crumbles. Top with remaining bun half and enjoy.