|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 10 servings|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 22g||28%|
|Saturated Fat 8g||42%|
|Total Carbohydrate 12g||4%|
|Dietary Fiber 3g||11%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This well seasoned slow cooker chili makes a big batch, and it's packed with beef and spices. Feel free to add some jalapeno peppers for a little more kick, or add some beans if you prefer.
This is an excellent chili to take along to the game in a slow cooker or take it to a party or potluck event. It's an all-beef chili, but two cans of drained pinto beans or kidney beans may be added if you prefer beans in your chili.
Serve this chili with your favorite cornbread or cornbread muffins, hot out of the oven. See the tips and variations for some garnish ideas and additional ingredient suggestions.
- 4 pounds ground beef
- 4 cloves garlic (finely minced)
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 1 (4-ounce) can green chile peppers (chopped and undrained)
- 2 (14.5-ounce) cans diced tomatoes (undrained)
- 4 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ancho chili powder (optional)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1/2 cup water (or beef broth)
Transfer the ground beef to the slow cooker with the minced garlic, chopped onion, chile peppers, tomatoes, chili powders, cumin, salt, pepper, water or broth, and cornmeal. Stir to combine.
Cover the pot and cook on LOW for 7 to 9 hours, checking and stirring about halfway through cooking time. Add a little more water if needed.
Serve with cornbread and a tossed salad.
- For more servings or if you like beans in chili, add two 15-ounce cans of pinto beans, black beans, kidney beans, or small red beans to the chili.
- Never pour excess fat down the drain. Poor cooled fat into a can and let it solidify, or pour it into an empty jar with a lid. Discard in the trash.
- Jazz up servings of chili with shredded cheese, a dollop of sour cream, cilantro, or sliced green onions (or a combination of several garnishes).
- Take the chili along to a potluck or tailgating event and keep it warm in a slow cooker.
- Cook 6 to 8 strips of bacon until crisp; drain and crumble. Leave 1 to 2 tablespoons of drippings in the skillet to cook the ground beef. Continue with the recipe. Add the crumbled bacon to the chili before it's done or use it to garnish servings.
- Add a few tablespoons of minced jalapeno or serrano chili peppers to the chili or add some crushed red pepper flakes for extra heat.
- Use part lean ground pork with the ground beef.
- To lower the fat content, make the chili with ground turkey.