This well seasoned slow cooker chili makes a big batch, and it's packed with beef and spices. Feel free to add some jalapeno peppers for a little more kick, or add some beans if you prefer.
This is an excellent chili to take along to the game in a slow cooker or take it to a party or potluck event. It's an all-beef chili, but two cans of drained pinto beans or kidney beans may be added if you prefer beans in your chili.
Serve this chili with your favorite cornbread or cornbread muffins, hot out of the oven. See the tips and variations for some garnish ideas and additional ingredient suggestions.
- 4 pounds ground beef
- 4 cloves garlic (finely minced)
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped mild green chile peppers (undrained)
- 2 cans (14.5 ounces each) diced tomatoes (undrained)
- 4 tablespoons
- chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ancho chili powder (optional)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1/2 cup water (or
- beef broth)
- In a skillet or sauté pan over medium-high heat, cook the ground beef, stirring and breaking up large chunks, until no longer pink.
- You will probably need to brown the beef in batches.
- Transfer the ground beef to the slow cooker with the minced garlic, chopped onion, chile peppers, tomatoes, chili powders, cumin, salt, pepper, water or broth, and cornmeal.
- Stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 7 to 9 hours, checking and stirring about halfway through cooking time. Add a little more water if needed.
- Serve with cornbread and a tossed salad.
Tips and Variations
- For more servings or if you like beans in chili, add two 15-ounce cans of pinto beans, black beans, kidney beans, or small red beans to the chili.
- Cook 6 to 8 strips of bacon; drain and crumble. Leave 1 to 2 tablespoons of drippings in the skillet to cook the ground beef. Continue with the recipe. Add the crumbled bacon to the chili before it's done or use it to garnish servings.
- Add a few tablespoons of minced jalapeno or serrano chili peppers to the chili or add some crushed red pepper flakes for extra heat.
- Garnish servings with sour cream and sliced green onions or shredded cheddar or pepper jack cheese.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||22 g|
|Saturated Fat||8 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||9 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|