There are probably hundreds of recipes for Garam Masala, the traditional seasoning blend of India. This is one of the more simple recipes and is great for adding an Indian-inspired flavor to anything you want to cook.
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) cardamom seeds
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) cumin seeds
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) coriander seeds
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) black peppercorns
- 1 stick cinnamon (about three inches long)
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) whole cloves
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) dried nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) turmeric
Break the cinnamon stick into small pieces.
Combine with cardamom seeds, cumin, coriander, peppercorns and whole cloves in a dry skillet pan over a medium-high heat.
Keeping the spices moving, toast until you can smell their aroma and the seeds begin to brown.
Remove from heat and pour into a food processor or spice grinder and grind into a fine powder. Add nutmeg and turmeric.
Store in an airtight container. Keep in a dark and cool place.