|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 6 Pints (192 Servings)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 0g||0%|
|Saturated Fat 0g||0%|
|Total Carbohydrate 3g||1%|
|Dietary Fiber 0g||1%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This delicious garden relish recipe is made with cucumbers, green tomatoes, onions, and peppers. The relish is easy to make with a grinder or food processor, and it makes a wonderful hot dog relish. Or, use the relish in salads or in a tartar sauce or similar sauce.
This is an excellent way to use late garden vegetables.
- 8 bell peppers (red and green, ground or finely chopped in food processor)
- 4 cups green tomatoes (ground or finely chopped in food processor)
- 4 cups pickling cucumbers (ground or finely chopped in food processor)
- 3 cups onions (ground or finely chopped in food processor)
- 3 1/2 cups cider vinegar
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons pickling salt
- 2 tablespoons mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon celery seeds
- 2 tablespoons mixed pickling spices (in a tied cheesecloth bag)
Gather the ingredients.
Prepare the vegetables; drain off excess liquids.
Combine the vegetables in a large stainless steel or enamel-lined kettle.
Stir in 1 3/4 cups of the vinegar. Place over medium-high heat and bring to a boil. Continue boiling, stirring frequently, for 30 minutes.
Drain and discard liquids.
Add the remaining 1 3/4 cups vinegar, the sugar, salt, celery seeds, and mustard seeds.
Add the cheesecloth bag with mixed pickling spices. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 5 minutes.
Fill hot, prepared jars, leaving 1/2-inch headspace. Clean jar rims and fit with lids and rings.
Process in a covered boiling-water bath canner for 10 minutes.
Turn off heat, remove the cover, and let jars stand in the hot water for 5 minutes. Remove to a rack to cool completely.