This delicious garden relish recipe is made with cucumbers, green tomatoes, onions, and peppers. The relish is easy to make with a grinder or food processor, and it makes a wonderful hot dog relish. Or, use the relish in salads or in a tartar sauce or similar sauce.
This is an excellent way to use late garden vegetables.
- 8 bell peppers (red and green, ground or finely chopped in food processor)
- 4 cups green tomatoes (ground or finely chopped in food processor)
- 4 cups pickling cucumbers (ground or finely chopped in food processor)
- 3 cups onions (ground or finely chopped in food processor)
- 3 1/2 cups cider vinegar
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons pickling salt
- 2 tablespoons mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon celery seeds
- 2 tablespoons mixed pickling spices (in a tied cheesecloth bag)
- Prepare the work area, canner, jars, and lids. See preparing jars for canning and boiling water processing.
- Prepare the vegetables; drain off excess liquids.
- Combine the vegetables in a large stainless steel or enamel-lined kettle.
- Stir in 1 3/4 cups of the vinegar. Place over medium-high heat and bring to a boil. Continue boiling, stirring frequently, for 30 minutes.
- Drain and discard liquids.
- Add the remaining 1 3/4 cups vinegar, the sugar, salt, celery seeds, and mustard seeds. Add the cheesecloth bag with mixed pickling spices. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Fill hot, prepared jars, leaving 1/2-inch headspace.
- Clean jar rims and fit with lids and rings. Process in a covered boiling-water bath canner for 10 minutes.
- Turn off heat, remove the cover, and let jars stand in the hot water for 5 minutes. Remove to a rack to cool completely.
You Might Also Like
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||0 g|
|Saturated Fat||0 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||0 g|
|Dietary Fiber||0 g|