This is one pork chop recipe that has a flavorful combination sure to please the pickiest eaters. Pancetta offers a mildly salty flavor, but if you'd rather use bacon for this recipe then go right ahead.
- 4 pork loin chops (about 1 1/4 thick)
- 4 ounces/110 g pancetta (diced)
- 1 tablespoon/15 mL lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon/15 mL fresh rosemary (minced)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1/2 teaspoon/2.5 mL dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon/2.5 mL black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon/1.75 salt
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Optional: 2 slices of provolone cheese (halved)
- Cook pancetta in a medium skillet for 5 to 10 minutes. Once crispy, spoon out and discard some of the fat and add in 2 teaspoons rosemary, oregano, and garlic. Cook for an additional minute. Remove from heat and add in lemon juice. Set aside.
- Preheat grill for medium high heat. One up to temperature and right before placing chops on grill, lightly oil grill grates using large tongs, folded paper towel and oil. Grasp paper towel with tongs, dip into the oil and rub across the grates to create a non stick surface. Do this about 3 times.
- Trim fat and create a pocket by cutting the side of each chop. Carefully stuff each chop with half of the provolone cheese (you can omit this step if preferred). Fold in half if the slices are larger than the slit. Push as far back as allowable. Spoon in pancetta mixture and press down lightly on chops to secure filling. Brush chops with olive oil and season with salt, pepper and remaining rosemary.
- Place chops on grill grate and cook over indirect medium high heat for 35 to 40 minutes. Turn chops once. Once internal temperature of chops reaches between 160-165 F, remove from grill. Let chops rest for a few minutes before serving.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||42 g|
|Saturated Fat||16 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||17 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|