|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 44g||56%|
|Saturated Fat 25g||127%|
|Total Carbohydrate 34g||12%|
|Dietary Fiber 2g||7%|
|Total Sugars 4g|
|Vitamin C 3mg||17%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Grilled cheese sandwiches have long been a favorite American comfort food. This garlic bread version takes the ordinary grilled cheese sandwich to the next level. All you need is a few extra ingredients for the garlic butter spread to make these gourmet sandwiches.
This recipe makes four sandwiches, and it is easily scaled down for one or two sandwiches. Or scale it up for a large family. Serve garlic bread grilled cheese sandwiches with a marinara sauce or pizza sauce for dipping, or serve them with tomato soup or a salad for a fabulous lunch or dinner.
Use a large skillet (preferably nonstick) or a panini press or griddle to make the sandwiches.
For the Garlic Spread:
8 tablespoons (4 ounces) unsalted butter, softened
4 cloves garlic
2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
For the Sandwiches:
8 slices bread
8 ounces sliced or grated cheddar, mozzarella, or American cheese
Kosher salt, to taste
Freshly ground pepper, to taste
Soup or salad, for serving, optional
Gather the ingredients.
Combine the softened butter with the garlic and parsley. Spread the softened garlic butter on both sides of two slices of bread.
Place a large nonstick skillet or griddle over medium-high heat. Place a buttered slice of bread in the pan and cook for about 2 to 3 minutes, or until nicely browned. Turn to brown the other side. Repeat with another slice of bread.
Reduce the heat to low. Mound shredded cheese on one slice of bread or arrange sliced cheese on the bread. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
Place the second slice of bread on the cheese layer. Cook the sandwich for about 4 to 6 minutes, or until the cheese melts. Gently press the sandwich with a spatula as it cooks. Repeat with the remaining bread, garlic butter, and cheese.
Slice the sandwiches and serve warm with soup or a salad.
- To serve the sandwiches all at once, place the first batches on a rack and place them in a warm—175 F to 200 F—oven.
- Scale the recipe up or down depending on how many sandwiches you need.
- Caprese Grilled Cheese Sandwiches: Assemble the sandwiches with mozzarella cheese and add layers of thinly sliced tomatoes and basil leaves.
- BLT Grilled Cheese: Toast the garlic bread as instructed and use American or cheddar cheese. For each sandwich, assemble on the toasted bread as follows: 2 slices of cheese or shredded cheese, a few lettuce leaves, 2 slices of tomato, and 2 strips of crisp-fried and well-drained bacon. Top with another slice of toasted garlic bread and cook over low heat until the cheese is melted.
- Pizza Grilled Cheese: Toast the garlic bread and top a slice with mozzarella cheese. Drizzle a few tablespoons of pizza sauce over the cheese layer and top with slices of pepperoni. Top with another slice of toasted bread and cook over low heat until the cheese is melted.