|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 47g||61%|
|Saturated Fat 17g||86%|
|Total Carbohydrate 13g||5%|
|Dietary Fiber 1g||4%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Chicken and shrimp go together surprisingly well, and this dish is no exception. Garlic, basil, and simple Italian-style seasonings flavor the chicken and shrimp mixture. The dish is similar in flavor to a classic shrimp scampi.
Cut boneless chicken breast halves into strips or use chicken tenders in the dish for quick cooking. The chicken and shrimp cook together in the pan for minimal cleanup. You can easily make this dish with all chicken or all shrimp if you like.
Serve this chicken and shrimp combination with cooked linguine, angel hair pasta, noodles, or hot boiled rice. Add a tossed green salad or Caesar salad for a well-rounded meal suitable for any occasion.
- 2 to 3 boneless chicken breast halves (or tenders, about 1 pound)
- 1 pound shrimp (large or jumbo, peeled)
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic (smashed and minced)
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil (chopped, or 1 teaspoon dried leaf basil)
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley (chopped, or 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Creole seasoning (seasoned salt blend)
- For serving: cooked rice or pasta
- Optional garnish: fresh parsley (chopped)
Gather the ingredients.
Lightly pound chicken between sheets of plastic wrap to an even thickness. Cut the chicken into strips about 1-inch wide. If you are using chicken tenders, omit this step.
To devein the shrimp, draw the tip of a small, sharp knife down the back of a shrimp. Remove the dark vein or coax it out with the knife. Repeat with the remaining shrimp. Rinse the shrimp under cold running water and then pat them dry with paper towels.
In a large skillet over medium heat, melt the butter with the olive oil.
When the butter stops foaming, add the garlic, basil, parsley, salt, and seasoning. Reduce the heat to medium-low and add the chicken and shrimp.
Cook the shrimp and chicken mixture, stirring, for about 10 to 15 minutes, until cooked through. If the shrimp are small, add them a few minutes after adding the chicken. The shrimp will be opaque and pink when done, and the chicken will be white and opaque throughout.
Spoon the chicken and shrimp mixture over hot cooked pasta or rice for serving. Sprinkle with fresh chopped parsley, if desired.
As with many savory dishes, there are lots of ways you can tailor it by adding ingredients or making substitutions:
- Add a small minced shallot or a few tablespoons of scallions to the butter and olive oil along with the garlic and seasonings.
- Add about 1/4 cup of finely chopped bell pepper or 6 to 8 ounces of sliced mushrooms to the skillet.
- Finish with a squeeze or two of fresh lemon juice, or serve the dish with lemon wedges.
- Feel free to use all chicken or all shrimp in the dish. Chicken and ham is a great combination as well.
- If you are using frozen cooked shrimp, thaw them in the refrigerator and add them about 5 minutes before the dish is done, or cook just long enough to heat the shrimp thoroughly.