This is an easy vegetarian recipe for whole grain quinoa flavored with garlic and Parmesan cheese. Although this is a very basic recipe, you can vary it by adding some fried tofu or whatever veggies you happen to have on hand. For a vegan version of this quinoa recipe, we smothered my quinoa in nutritional yeast instead of Parmesan cheese and used olive oil in place of the butter.
Parmesan garlic quinoa isn't quite enough to make a full meal on its own but it's a good start. We think it would be great alongside some baked tofu or a side dish of vegetables, or maybe even alongside a simple vegetarian stir-fry.
Need it to be gluten-free? Just be sure to use a gluten-free vegetable broth, as all the other ingredients, including the butter, onion, garlic, quinoa and Parmesan cheese are all gluten-free and safe for anyone avoiding wheat. Read the label and look for a vegetable broth which is clearly labeled gluten-free, or, make your own at home.
- 1 tbsp. butter (or vegan margarine or olive oil if you want it to be vegan)
- 1 small yellow onion, diced small
- 3 to 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1/4 tsp. salt, or to taste (sea salt or kosher salt is always best)
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese (or nutritional yeast to make it vegan)
- First, in a medium-sized pan, saute the diced onion and the minced garlic in butter or olive oil over medium-high heat for about 3 to 5 minutes, until the onions are just starting to turn soft. Reduce the heat to medium-low.
- Next, add the vegetable broth and the quinoa. Cover the pan, and allow it to simmer until the liquid is mostly absorbed and quinoa is cooked about fifteen minutes.
- Remove the pan from heat, and gently mix or "fluff" the quinoa with a fork to fully distribute any excess moisture.
- Season your quinoa lightly with salt to taste, and add the Parmesan cheese, stirring to combine and allow the Parmesan cheese to melt. Or, for a vegan version, mix in nutritional yeast instead of the Parmesan cheese.
Scroll down for more easy quinoa recipes to try
Nutritional information (from Calorie Count), per serving:
Calories: 318, Calories from Fat: 95
% Daily Value:
Total Fat: 10.6g, 16%
Saturated Fat: 4.5g, 23%
Cholesterol: 18mg, 6%
Total Carbohydrates: 40.5g, 13%
Dietary Fiber: 4.4g, 18%
Vitamin A 3%, Vitamin C 4%, Calcium 14%, Iron 17%
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|