This recipe for General Tso's chicken is a restaurant favorite that is based on an authentic Hunan dish roughly translated into "ancestor meeting-place chicken."
If you like, you can thicken the sauce by whisking 2 teaspoons cornstarch into the other sauce ingredients. For more sauce, increase the sauce ingredients by multiplying by 1/2 (i.e., 3 tablespoons dark soy sauce, 1 1/2 tablespoons rice wine, etc).
- For the Chicken:
- 1 pound chicken (boneless thighs)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce (light)
- 1 large egg (lightly beaten)
- Black or white pepper (freshly ground to taste)
- Cornstarch (as needed)
- 3 to 4 cups oil (as needed for deep-frying and stir-frying)
- 3 green onions (thinly sliced)
- 5 to 10 small dried red chili peppers (to taste)
- For the Sauce:
- 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Chinese rice wine (or dry sherry)
- 1 tablespoon sugar (granulated white)
- 3 tablespoons chicken broth (or water)
- 1 tablespoon ginger (minced)
- 2 teaspoons garlic (minced)
- Optional: 2 teaspoons cornstarch for thickening sauce
Prepare the Chicken
- Cut the chicken into 1-inch cubes. Combine the chicken cubes with the light soy sauce, egg, and pepper.
- Add enough cornstarch to nicely coat the chicken, using cooking chopsticks or your fingers to mix it in.
Make the Sauce
- In a small bowl, combine dark soy sauce, rice vinegar, rice wine, sugar, broth, ginger, garlic and optional cornstarch, stirring to dissolve the sugar.
- Set aside.
Cook the Dish
- Heat the oil in a wok to 350-360 F/175-180 C. Drop the chicken cubes into the hot oil, a few pieces at a time, and deep-fry until crispy (3 to 4 minutes). Remove the chicken cubes and drain on paper towels.
- Drain and clean out the wok. Heat 2 tablespoons oil. When the oil is hot, add the green onions and the dried chili peppers. Stir-fry until aromatic (about 30 seconds).
- Return the deep-fried chicken cubes back into the wok. Stir-fry until the chicken cubes are browned (about 1 minute).
- Push the chicken up to the sides of the wok. Give the sauce a quick re-stir and add into the middle of the wok. If you added cornstarch to the sauce, stir it continually for 1 to 2 minutes to thicken.
- Push the chicken into the sauce and mix. Cook and stir for another 2 minutes until the chicken is nicely coated with the sauce. Serve immediately.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||22 g|
|Saturated Fat||6 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||9 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|