|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 3 to 4|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 22g||28%|
|Saturated Fat 6g||31%|
|Total Carbohydrate 7g||3%|
|Dietary Fiber 1g||2%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This recipe for General Tso's chicken is a restaurant favorite that is based on an authentic Hunan dish roughly translated into "ancestor meeting-place chicken."
If you like, you can thicken the sauce by whisking two teaspoons cornstarch into the other sauce ingredients. For more sauce, increase the sauce ingredients by multiplying by 1/2 (i.e., 3 tablespoons dark soy sauce, 1 1/2 tablespoons rice wine, etc).
- For the Chicken:
- 1 pound chicken (boneless thighs)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce (light)
- 1 large egg (lightly beaten)
- Black or white pepper (freshly ground to taste)
- Cornstarch (as needed)
- 3 to 4 cups oil (as needed for deep-frying and stir-frying)
- 3 green onions (thinly sliced)
- 5 to 10 small dried red chili peppers (to taste)
- For the Sauce:
- 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Chinese rice wine (or dry sherry)
- 1 tablespoon sugar (granulated white)
- 3 tablespoons chicken broth (or water)
- 1 tablespoon ginger (minced)
- 2 teaspoons garlic (minced)
- Optional: 2 teaspoons cornstarch for thickening sauce
Prepare the Chicken: cut the chicken into one-inch cubes. Combine the chicken cubes with the light soy sauce, egg, and pepper.
Add enough cornstarch to nicely coat the chicken, using cooking chopsticks or your fingers to mix it in.
For the Sauce: In a small bowl, combine dark soy sauce, rice vinegar, rice wine, sugar, broth, ginger, garlic, and optional cornstarch, stirring to dissolve the sugar.
Heat the oil in a wok to 350-360 F/175-180 C. Drop the chicken cubes into the hot oil, a few pieces at a time, and deep-fry until crispy (three to four minutes). Remove the chicken cubes and drain on paper towels.
Drain and clean out the wok. Heat two tablespoons oil. When the oil is hot, add the green onions and the dried chili peppers. Stir-fry until aromatic (about 30 seconds).
Return the deep-fried chicken cubes back into the wok. Stir-fry until the chicken cubes are browned (about one minute).
Push the chicken up to the sides of the wok. Give the sauce a quick re-stir and add into the middle of the wok. If you added cornstarch to the sauce, stir it continually for one to two minutes to thicken.
Push the chicken into the sauce and mix. Cook and stir for another two minutes until the chicken is nicely coated with the sauce. Serve immediately.