When apricots are in season in Germany (usually the beginning of June to the beginning of August), you will find apricot compote (Aprikosenkompott) in almost every home on the weekend, ready for guests.
Traditional Germans often make compotes in the summer, to take advantage of the large amount of fresh fruit available. A compote is just another name for stewed fresh or dried fruit that has been slowly cooked, usually in a sugar syrup which may or may not contain liquor, liqueur or wine, and spices, if desired. Compote is eaten for breakfast, dessert, snacks and as a side dish during dinner.
Make apricot compote throughout the summer, as you find ripe apricots in the stores, and serve it with yogurt for breakfast, as a quick dessert with whipped cream or over ice cream. Use it to make a sauce for venison or pork. You can sweeten it as much or as little as you want and flavor it with cinnamon and clove or a piece of vanilla bean for exotic aromas.
- 1 to 2 pounds apricots (fresh, washed, and halved, pits removed)
- Optional: sugar or sweetener to taste (sugar, apple juice, agave nectar, Stevia)
- Optional: 1 stick of cinnamon
- Optional: 4 to 5 whole cloves
- Optional: 1/2 whole vanilla bean, don't scrape out the seeds
- Place 1 to 2 pounds apricots in a medium saucepan, add 1/4 cup of water and about 1/4 cup of sweetener to start and the spices of choice. Bring to a soft boil, reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Use hot or cold.
Possible Uses for Apricot Compote
- It is very popular in Germany over plain yogurt or quark for breakfast or with whipped cream for dessert.
- Stir it into homemade vanilla ice cream or make a shake or smoothie with it.
- Use some after you remove the meat from the pan to make a quick sauce. Add some compote to the pan, sprinkle a little dried thyme, salt and pepper and stir. Reduce liquids, then pour in a capful of brandy to taste.
More German Apricot Recipes:
- German Apricot Cake Recipe
- German Apricot Cake with Almond Filling Recipe
- German Apricot Cake with Topping Recipe
More German Compote Recipes:
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||2 g|
|Saturated Fat||0 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||0 g|
|Dietary Fiber||7 g|