|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 32 brownies (32 servings)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 13g||17%|
|Saturated Fat 7g||35%|
|Total Carbohydrate 21g||8%|
|Dietary Fiber 2g||6%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
German chocolate brownies are not only made with German sweet chocolate, but they are topped with a rich creamy frosting made with brown sugar, cream, coconut, and pecans. This combination of textures and flavors is usually used in German Chocolate Cake, but I changed the recipe to add a special touch to brownies.
This brownie is perfect for Christmas, or it's a great addition to a cookie tray. It will also sell quickly at a bake sale. Follow the directions carefully for the best results.
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2/3 cup butter
- 1/4 cup water
- 6 ounces German sweet chocolate (chopped)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup butter (melted)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 cups coconut
- 1 cup pecans (chopped)
- 1/4 cup corn syrup
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Gather the ingredients.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a 13" x 9" pan with nonstick baking spray containing flour and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, combine 2/3 cup butter, 1/2 cup sugar, 1/2 cup brown sugar, and water. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Remove the pan from the heat and add the chopped chocolate; stir until melted. Add 2 teaspoons vanilla and the eggs, beating well to combine.
- Stir in the flour, baking powder, and salt. Spoon into prepared pan.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until brownies are just set. Set aside.
- For the topping, combine 1/4 cup melted butter with 1 cup brown sugar, coconut, pecans, corn syrup, heavy cream, and 1 teaspoon vanilla in a medium bowl; mix well. Carefully drop this mixture by small spoonfuls onto the warm brownies; spread gently to cover. Turn the oven to broil.
- Broil the brownies 6" from heat for 2 to 3 minutes or until the topping bubbles all over. Watch carefully, since it can burn easily. Remove the brownies from the oven and cool completely on a wire rack; cut into bars.