This fabulous chocolate upside-down cake is very easy to prepare with a German chocolate cake mix. Cream cheese, coconut, and chopped pecans make it an extra-special dessert, and it makes its own topping!
There were 16 previous reviews. All but a few were 5-star reviews and comments. From the few negative reviews, the people said the cake spilled out over the sides of the pan. Most people — including me — didn't have the problem, but if you are using a pan that is slightly smaller or more shallow, place a large baking pan on the lower rack of the oven just in case.
- 1 cup flaked sweetened coconut
- 1 cup pecans (chopped)
- 1 package (18.25 ounces) German chocolate cake mix (prepared according to package directions)
- 8 ounces cream cheese (room temperature)
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine (room temperature)
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- Grease and flour a 9-by-13-by-2-inch baking pan.
- Heat oven to 350 F (180 C/Gas Mark 4) .
- Sprinkle coconut and pecans evenly over the bottom of the prepared pan.
- Prepare cake mix with water, oil, and eggs, following the package directions.
- Pour the cake batter over the coconut and pecans.
- Combine the cream cheese, butter, and confectioners' sugar in a mixing bowl. Beat until well blended. Drop by spoonfuls over the top of cake batter.
- Put the cake in the oven with a large baking pan under it just in case the mixture spills over a bit.
- Bake for about 45 to 50 minutes. A toothpick should come out clean when inserted into the center of the cake portion.
- Cool the cake in the pan on a rack.
- To serve, cut into individual serving-size pieces and, using a spatula or cake server, remove from the pan and turn upside-down on dessert plates.
You Might Also Like
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|