Tomato soup is a classic in almost all cuisines. Germans are accustomed to serving it with unsweetened whipped cream on top to make Tomatencremesuppe. The cream slowly melts into the soup, making swirls of creamy, tomato-y taste without too many calories. You can also serve it plain, with basil or perhaps some shaved Parmesan. To make this a truly vegetarian soup, use vegetable broth as a base. While Roma tomatoes, also known as Italian plum tomatoes, are the best to use, any tomato will work.
Makes 2 generous servings of German Cream of Tomato Soup.
- 1 teaspoon good-quality olive oil
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped (1/2 medium onion)
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 pound (about 8 to 10) tomatoes (preferably Roma tomatoes: quartered)
- 2 tablespoons vodka (or tequila)
- 1 sprig fresh thyme (or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme)
- 1 sprig oregano (or 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano)
- 1 cup chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Dash freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped basil for garnish
- 4 tablespoons heavy whipping cream, whipped (optional)
- Heat 1 teaspoon good-quality olive oil in a skillet and sauté the 1/2 cup chopped onions until translucent. Add 1 clove chopped garlic and continue to sauté for a few minutes, being careful not to burn it.
- Add the 1 pound of quartered tomatoes, toss in the 2 tablespoons vodka or tequila and the herbs, cover pan and cook for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- When tomatoes are soft, remove the muslin bag with the fresh herbs and place contents in a blender.
- Carefully place one or two hot pads on the lid of the blender and hold the lid in place while you blend the hot tomatoes for 30 seconds, or so.
- Pour the sauce through a sieve over the pan and, using the back of a spoon, coax all the liquids back into the pan. This step is optional but results in a smooth and flavorful tomato soup.
- Add 1 cup of chicken broth or vegetable broth, salt, and pepper to taste. Heat gently for 5 minutes. Ladle into bowls and garnish with a dollop of unsweetened whipped cream and chopped basil.
More German Tomato-Based Recipes
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||5 g|
|Saturated Fat||2 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||2 g|
|Dietary Fiber||7 g|