Responding to readers' inquiries, I have synthesized a poppy seed cake or "pie" from several recipes. This one has a cookie crust, poppy seed filling, and a baked, sour cream topping. All ingredients can be easily found in the US and the cake is completely made from scratch, no funny pouches of pre-made filling.
- 14 tbsp./200 g. butter (salted)
- 2 cups/250 g. flour
- 1/2 cup/100 g. sugar
- 4 tbsp. zest (orange)
- 2 egg yolks (whisked with 2 tbsp. water)
- Poppy Seed Filling:
- 2 cups/500 ml. milk
- 1/3 cup/50 g. farina (such as Cream of Wheat)
- 1/4 - 1/3 cup/50 g. sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup/150 g. poppy seeds (ground)
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 2 egg whites (stiffly beaten)
- Sour Cream Topping:
- 1 cup/250 ml. sour cream
- 1/2 cup/125 ml. cream (sweet)
- 1 1/2 tbsp./20 g. flour
- 1/3 cup/75 g. sugar
- 2 eggs (separated)
- Several drops of lemon extract or vanilla, to taste
Make the Crust
- Cut butter into flour, sugar, and orange zest until pea-sized crumbs form.
- Quickly mix in the egg yolks and form a smooth ball, without kneading too much.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and chill for one hour.
Make the Filling
- Bring milk, sugar, and vanilla to a boil.
- Remove from heat, pour in farina, stirring constantly, then poppy seeds.
- Place back on heat and boil again, briefly.
- Remove from heat and let the mixture cool down.
- When still warm, stir in butter until melted.
(Do not beat the egg whites until you are ready to fill the crust.)
Make the Topping
- Beat all egg whites until stiff.
- Mix all the sour cream topping ingredients together except the egg whites, until smooth.
- Fold in half the egg whites.
- Fold the other two egg whites into the cooled poppy seed mixture.
Assemble the Cake
- Roll out the crust.
- Divide dough in half.
- Roll one-half out into an 11-inch circle and cut to fit the bottom of 11-inch springform pan.
- Roll out 1/4 of the dough into a rope and flatten into a 1 or 1 1/2 inch rim.
- Press around the edge of the springform and attach to the base with a little water or egg white.
- Continue with rest of dough.
- Trim crust evenly for a nice presentation.
- Fill crust with poppy seed filling and then top with sour cream filling, making sure to cover to the edge of the crust seal.
- Bake at 350°F for 50 to 60 minutes or until cake is browned and firmly set.
Responding to a review on this cake from a reader, I checked my notes and did see that I made a mistake with the crust, I used sugar but left it out when I wrote the recipe. I since added it and thank the reader for pointing out this lapse. It is indeed supposed to be a "cookie crust".
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|