This no-mayonnaise recipe is easy to make and good for picnics. Allow the salad to sit for a bit to soak up the sauce.
- 2 1/2 pounds waxy potatoes (about 6 medium)
- 3 ounces Bauchspeck (or 6 slices of bacon, chopped small)
- 3/4 cup onion (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons flour (either all purpose or brown rice flour)
- 1 tablespoon sugar (or 1 tablespoon honey)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (adjust according to how salty the bacon is)
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup white vinegar
- Optional: 2 tablespoons chives
- Cook potatoes in their jackets 20 minutes or until barely done, drain, peel, and cube. Set aside.
- Cook bacon or "Speck" until crisp, remove from pan and set aside. Add onions to bacon drippings and cook until soft and beginning to brown.
- Sprinkle the flour over the onions and stir to form a roux (flour/fat paste for thickening sauces). Let it cook for 1 minute, then add the sweetener, salt, and celery seed. Add water gradually, stirring constantly so that no lumps form. Add vinegar, and bring sauce to a boil for 1 to 2 minutes. Add pepper. Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Add potatoes and crumbled bacon to pan. Stir and heat until potatoes are heated through. Put potato salad in a bowl and let it marinate until lukewarm. Sprinkle chives on top to serve.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||5 g|
|Saturated Fat||2 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||2 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|