|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
This no-mayonnaise recipe is easy to make and good for picnics. Allow the salad to sit for a bit to soak up the sauce.
- 2 1/2 pounds waxy potatoes (about 6 medium)
- 3 ounces Bauchspeck (or 6 slices of bacon, chopped small)
- 3/4 cup onion (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons flour (either all purpose or brown rice flour)
- 1 tablespoon sugar (or 1 tablespoon honey)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (adjust according to how salty the bacon is)
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup white vinegar
- Optional: 2 tablespoons chives
Cook potatoes in their jackets 20 minutes or until barely done, drain, peel, and cube. Set aside.
Cook bacon or "Speck" until crisp, remove from pan and set aside. Add onions to bacon drippings and cook until soft and beginning to brown.
Sprinkle the flour over the onions and stir to form a roux (flour/fat paste for thickening sauces). Let it cook for 1 minute, then add the sweetener, salt, and celery seed. Add water gradually, stirring constantly so that no lumps form. Add vinegar, and bring sauce to a boil for 1 to 2 minutes. Add pepper. Taste and adjust seasonings.
Add potatoes and crumbled bacon to pan. Stir and heat until potatoes are heated through. Put potato salad in a bowl and let it marinate until lukewarm. Sprinkle chives on top to serve.