|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 1g||1%|
|Saturated Fat 0g||0%|
|Total Carbohydrate 31g||11%|
|Dietary Fiber 0g||1%|
|Total Sugars 23g|
|Vitamin C 9mg||44%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Take Jägermeister on a trip to the tropics with this tiki-style cocktail called the German vacation. It's one of the more interesting uses of Jäger and a rum cocktail that is a lot of fun, both to mix up and to drink.
The recipe comes from Jägermeister and is the creation of mixologist Sother Teague of Amor y Amargo in New York City. It mixes Flor de Caña Rum with the herbal array that is Jägermeister, pairing them with ginger and orgeat, as well as a touch of lemon.
It is all served snow cone-style, over a heaping mound of crushed ice with a heavy amount of bitters to finish it off. The effect is rather neat, with dark splatters painting a bed of snow.
1 ounce gold rum
1 ounce Jägermeister
3/4 ounce ginger syrup
3/4 ounce orgeat syrup
3/4 ounce freshly squeezed lemon juice
3 dashes Peychaud's Bitters
Steps to Make It
Gather the ingredients.
In a cocktail shaker filled with crushed ice, pour the gold rum, Jägermeister, ginger and orgeat syrups, and lemon juice.
Strain over fresh pebble ice in a swizzle glass.
Mound more ice on top like a snow cone and "paint" with Peychaud's Bitters.
Serve and enjoy.
- If you do not have an ice crusher, you can easily create pebbles from cubes (and work out any frustration). Simply place ice in a bag (a Lewis bag or plastic storage bag works perfect) and whack it with your muddler or a hammer until it breaks down.
- A swizzle glass is an unusually tall glass that tapers so the rim is about twice the size as the base. Any tall glass will do, including collins, highball, and pint glasses.
- Flor de Caña now makes two 4-year-old expressions. The recommended "gold rum" is labeled Oro and has a nice medium-bodied, woody flavor that works wonderfully in this drink. You can certainly pour the clear Extra Seco Rum if you like.
- In about one hour, you can make fresh ginger syrup. All you need is sugar, water, and sliced ginger. It can also be found at stores, though it is a specialty item and won't be available everywhere.
- Orgeat syrup is an almond-flavored syrup that is common in tiki drinks. It's honestly easier to buy it than to make it at home (though that is possible). You can find it online and at well-stocked liquor stores.
How Strong Is a German Vacation?
This cocktail is a fun way to drink Jäger, but it's also a strong drink. On average, its alcohol content is 24 percent ABV (48 proof), making it similar in strength to a shaken rum daiquiri.