|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 10 slices (10 servings)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 9g||12%|
|Saturated Fat 2g||12%|
|Total Carbohydrate 22g||8%|
|Dietary Fiber 3g||9%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Apples are a popular dessert fruit in German cooking. From cakes to pies to beloved strudel,they abound in the culinary repertoire. This apple cake recipe is a good way to mix healthy food with pleasurable food. Using whole-wheat pastry flour, apples and agave syrup, this cake is moist but not too dense, and it is pretty, too. Serve German apple cake with whipped cream or ice cream for a real treat.
- 1 pound/454 grams apples (Braeburn, Roma or Granny Smith, about 4 to 6 large apples)
- Optional: 1/2 lemon (juiced, zest)
- 6 tablespoons/75 grams butter (room temperature)
- 1/4 cup/85 grams agave syrup
- 1 large egg (room temperature)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups/260 grams whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (or 1 teaspoon lemon zest)
- 1 cup/245 grams yogurt (divided)
- 2 tablespoons raisins
Gather the ingredients. Preheat oven to 350 F.
Peel, core and quarter apples, then slice lengthwise into crescent-moon shapes. Sprinkle with lemon juice. Set aside.
Make the cake batter by creaming softened butter with the agave syrup until light and fluffy. Beat in egg, vanilla, and lemon zest, if using.
In a separate bowl, whisk together whole-wheat pastry flour, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon OR lemon zest.
Combine half of the flour mixture with the creamed mixture until smooth.
Beat 1/2 cup yogurt into the batter. Repeat with the second half of flour mixture and end with the remaining 1/2 cup yogurt.
Drain the lemon juice from the apples and pat them dry. Fold in half the apple slices and all of the raisins.
Spoon the batter into a buttered and floured, 9-inch/23 centimeter springform pan.
Lay the rest of the apple slices on top of the cake in a rosette form. It is easiest to do this starting in the middle first.
Drizzle the cream over the top of the apples and bake for 45 to 55 minutes.
Let cool and serve with whipped cream.
Serve and enjoy!
- You could also try a 9-inch, deep-dish pie pan.
- You could also use apple pie spice or other spice mixture.
- You can vary the flavors and the dried fruit to suit this apple cake recipe.
- You can also glaze the top of the cake with some warm apricot jam, which will keep the fruit from drying out.