Giada de Laurentiis is the charming host of the Food Network's "Everyday Italian," "Weekend Getaways," and "Giada at Home." Formerly a private chef and caterer in Los Angeles, Giada (pronounced Jah-dah) had no intention of getting into the family business of entertaining (she is the granddaughter of the famous producer Dino de Laurentiis).
Giada was born in Rome, Italy in 1970. At the age of seven, her family moved to southern California. She attended UCLA where she attained a degree in social anthropology.
Giada started her culinary career by attending Le Cordon Bleu in Paris. She returned to Los Angeles to work in a number of restaurants including Wolfgang Puck’s Spago. Later, Giada started her own catering company, GDL Foods in Los Angeles, California.
Giada's TV Cooking Empire
After a piece in Food & Wine magazine, Giada was noticed by Food Network executives. She was given her own show in 2003, "Everyday Italian," which now airs on The Cooking Channel. In 2004, Giada teamed up with Mario Batali to host the TV special, "An Italian Christmas with Mario and Giada." Giada published her first cookbook, "Everyday Italian: 125 Simple and Delicious Recipes" in 2005.
The Food Network's "Giada's Weekend Getaways" debuted in January 2007 and "Giada at Home" in October 2008. Giada has also be seen as a judge on the Next Food Network Star. Additional TV credits include:
- The Today Show
- Giada's Holiday Handbook
- Giada at Home
- Giada Entertains
- Giada in Italy
- Commercials for Hershey's candies
- Commercials for the Carrabba's Italian Grill
She has also appeared in beauty ads in print and television for Clairol's Natural Instincts hair color. She also does a web-only show called "Giada in Paradise."
Giada's Brand Domination
Giada has been a longtime spokesperson for Barilla pasta. She has had products bearing her name for the brand including Extra-virgin Olive Oil, Balsamic Vinegar, Tuscan Herb Mix, and Sea Salt with Fresh Lemon Zest). She now owns her own production company, Linguine Pictures.
Giada's Personal Life
In 2003, Giada married Todd Thompson, a fashion designer for Anthropologie. Their only child, a girl, was born March 29, 2008, Jade Marie De Laurentiis Thompson. The pair decided to end their marriage in 2014. The divorce was finalized the following year.
Cookbooks from Giada
- "Everyday Italian: 125 Simple and Delicious Recipes" (Clarkson Potter 2005)
- "Giada's Family Dinners" (Clarkson Potter 2006)
- "Everyday Pasta" (Clarkson Potter 2007)
- "Giada's Kitchen: New Italian Favorites" (Clarkson Potter 2008)
- "Giada at Home: Family Recipes from Italy and California" (2010)
- "Weeknights with Giada: Quick and Simple Recipes to Revamp Dinner" (2012)
- "Giada's Feel Good Food: My Healthy Recipes and Secrets" (2013)
- "Happy Cooking: Make Every Meal Count... Without Stressing Out" (2015)