|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 0g||0%|
|Saturated Fat 0g||0%|
|Total Carbohydrate 14g||5%|
|Dietary Fiber 4g||13%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
The gin rickey is a refreshing and classic highball that dates back to the turn of the 20th century. Designed to have a tart flavor profile, as it features zero sugar, it's an easy mixed drink recipe that requires just three ingredients and one of the most invigorating gin cocktails you can mix up.
The story goes that the rickey was created at Shoemaker's in Washington D.C., a popular hangout spot for congressmen. It was named after Colonel "Joe" Rickey, a lobbyist who died in 1903 and who was known for entertaining elected officials in the area lounges.
The mix is simple: Choose your favorite gin, add a healthy dose of lime, and fill the glass with soda water. It's similar to the gin and tonic, gin buck, and gin fizz. Each differs only by the soda used, though the fizz does have a few extra ingredients. They make a great set of mixed drinks for any gin lover.
Click Play to See This Gin Rickey Recipe Come Together
Gather the ingredients.
Fill a highball glass with ice.
Pour the gin and lime juice over the ice.
Top with club soda.
Garnish with a lime wedge.
Serve and enjoy!
- The gin rickey is a transparent drink and is best with a decent gin.
- It's also a perfect opportunity to step away from traditional London dry gins and explore some of the more unusual offerings. Hendrick's cucumber and Aviation's fruity-florals are both perfect options.
- The natural flavor of fresh lime juice is highly recommended. As you drink, you may find yourself squeezing more juice into it, so don't skip the garnish.
- The average lime yields 1/2 to 1 ounce. With either fresh or bottled juice, adjust it to fit your taste—this may change from one gin to another.
- Club soda seems like a simple ingredient, though soda is just as important as any other element in drinks like this. There are some excellent soda companies, and both Q Drinks and Fever-Tree create cocktail-worthy sodas.
- To add a little extra tartness, wet the rim of your glass with the lime wedge by running it around the edge. With each drink, you get an extra spark and it's a fantastic way to cleanse your palate during a meal.
- The rickey formula works for other spirits as well. It's said that Rickey's initial request was for a sugar-free bourbon rickey. Vodka, rum, and other styles of whiskey are good, too.
- Skip the liquor, add simple syrup, and you have the nonalcoholic lime rickey.
How Strong Is the Gin Rickey?
As with all highballs, you can make the gin rickey as strong or as weak as you like. If you pour the average 80-proof gin and the final volume is 7 ounces, you can expect it to have an alcohol content around 10 percent ABV (20 proof). This makes it a nice, casual drink, comparable to the average glass of wine.