|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 13g||17%|
|Saturated Fat 8g||38%|
|Total Carbohydrate 38g||14%|
|Dietary Fiber 1g||3%|
|Total Sugars 21g|
|Vitamin C 0mg||0%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Our chewy ginger molasses cookies are a true holiday cookie dream. Take a bite of chewy centers, crispy edges, and the best fall spices like ginger, cinnamon, and a dash of white pepper for a little kick. Tossed in granulated sugar before baking, the resulting cookie is a sparkly treat with a wonderful bite. These cookies travel well when packaged carefully and are a perfect addition to any dessert table after the Thanksgiving or Christmas meal. They also make a great everyday dessert when served on their own or with vanilla ice cream and a drizzle of caramel.
Making the cookies does not require a stand or hand mixer and they freeze beautifully, either pre- or post-bake, making them a fabulous choice if you like to plan and make ahead.
“These cookies were delicious and hit all the right notes for a spiced holiday cookie. Mine came out very soft with a slight chew. They also baked a little flatter than in the photos, so I didn’t need to flatten them with a spatula at the end.” —Young Sun Huh
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/4 teaspoon fine salt
1 tablespoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon white pepper, optional
6 ounces (3/4 cup) unsalted butter, melted
1 cup dark brown sugar, packed
1 large egg
1 large egg yolk
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/4 cup molasses
Granulated sugar, for rolling
Steps to Make It
Gather the ingredients.
Preheat the oven to 350 F. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, ginger, cinnamon, and white pepper, if using.
In a large bowl, whisk together the melted butter and sugar until smooth.
Add the egg and yolk one at a time, whisking after each addition.
Add the vanilla and molasses and whisk until smooth.
Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and gently fold with a flexible spatula to combine. Place the dough in the refrigerator until it has a scoopable texture, or about 20 to 30 minutes.
Scoop the dough into 1 1/2 tablespoon balls using a small ice cream scoop or measuring spoons.
Roll each ball in granulated sugar and place on the prepared cookie sheets, about 12 balls per sheet. Place the sheets in the freezer to firm up for about 30 minutes to an hour. This will prevent the cookies from spreading when baked.
Roll the cookie balls in granulated sugar again for extra sparkle. Bake for about 12 minutes until the tops are cracked and the cookies are slightly puffy. Once removed from the oven, flatten each cookie lightly with a spatula. Serve warm or cold.
For Great Results
Follow our expert advice to make unforgettable ginger cookies:
- Bake for 12 minutes for a chewier cookie. For a crispier cookie, bake for 14 minutes.
- Refrigerate the dough overnight and up to 72 hours for extra-chewy cookies.
- Re-sugar the baked cookies by dipping each side in a shallow bowl of granulated sugar while still warm for even more sparkle.
Other Flavors and Additions
For a different flavor profile, here are some of our favorite variations:
- Add cayenne pepper instead of white pepper for a different kind of heat.
- Add 3/4 cup chocolate chips or chunks for a delicious ginger chocolate cookie.
- Add 3/4 cup macadamia nuts, almonds, or cashews for a nutty flavor and extra texture. If needed, use sunflower seeds for a cookie that's free of tree nuts.
- Use turbinado sugar, rather than granulated, for even more sparkle and crunch.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar, rather than just granulated, for an even spicier finish.
- Scoop the cookies with a 1/4-cup ice cream scoop, rather than one sized at 1 1/2 tablespoons, and make jumbo ginger molasses cookies.
How to Store
Keep in an airtight container on the counter for three days or freeze in a resealable plastic bag for up to a month.