Glass Peanut Brittle is a thin, translucent variation of traditional peanut brittle. I call this "glass brittle" because the peanuts are suspended in a beautiful, almost-clear brittle that has the appearance of glass.
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 3/4 cup corn syrup (light)
- 2 1/4 cups peanuts (salted and roasted)
- 1 tablespoon butter (unsalted)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Prepare a baking sheet by lining it with aluminum foil and spraying the foil very well with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a heavy 4-quart saucepan, combine the sugar, water, and light corn syrup, and place the pan over medium heat. Stir until the sugar dissolves, then raise the heat to medium-high and insert a candy thermometer.
- Cook the candy over medium-high heat until it reaches 260 F (126 C). At this point, add the peanuts, the butter, and 3/4 tsp of salt, and stir well. Turn the heat back down to medium.
- Cook the candy, stirring frequently, until it reaches 295 F (146 C). During the cooking process, it will develop a golden color and begin to smell like caramelizing sugar.
- As soon as the candy reaches 295 F, remove the pan from the heat and add the vanilla and stir it in.
- Scrape the candy out onto the prepared pan and spread it into as thin a layer as possible.
- Let the brittle cool for a few minutes, until it is still pliable but not burning hot. If you have food-safe latex gloves, you might want to put them on to protect your hands from the heat. Otherwise, spray your hands with nonstick cooking spray. Carefully start pulling the brittle between your hands, stretching it as thin as possible. When you can no longer stretch it, let it cool completely at room temperature.
- Once cool, break the brittle into small pieces to serve. If you'd like, you can dip the pieces in chocolate for a tasty variation. Store Glass Peanut Brittle in an airtight container at room temperature for up to two weeks. If you live in a humid environment, you might find that your brittle becomes soft and sticky over time.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||17 g|
|Saturated Fat||3 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||8 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|