These grilled chicken pieces have a wonderful sweetness from the glaze and a smoky flavor from smoldering wood. This cedar plank grilling chicken is perfect for any weeknight meal or casual gathering.
- For the Glaze:
- 1/2 cup/120 mL peach or apricot preserves
- 1/4 cup/60 mL onion (minced)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 tablespoon/15 mL soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon/15 mL chili sauce
- 1 tablespoon/15 mL rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon/15 mL olive oil
- 1 teaspoon/5 mL black pepper
- For the Chicken:
- 4 chicken thigh and leg quarters
- 1/4 teaspoon/1.25 mL salt
- 1/4 teaspoon/1.25 mL black pepper
Gather the ingredients.
Soak plank in water for at least one hour before using.
Combine all glaze ingredients in a small saucepan over medium-low heat for 5 to 8 minutes, stirring often. Watch for burning and adjust heat accordingly. Once is nice and combined and thick remove from heat and set aside.
Preheat grill for medium-high heat.
Pat chicken leg quarters dry with paper towels. Make sure to get all sides. Place chicken onto plank and season with salt and black pepper.
Place on grill and allow to cook for 30 minutes.
Reduce heat to medium and either spoon or brush on the glaze. Cook for additional 20 to 30 minutes. Once thighs reach an internal temperature of 175 to 180 F., remove from heat.
Serve as whole leg quarters for larger appetites or cut each one, separating the thigh from the drumstick for smaller portions.
- You can also make extra sauce to serve on the side. Simply double the recipe and divide in half, storing the serving portion in a separate container. Use half to glaze the chicken and the untouched, reserved half at the table.