This glazed corned beef recipe is the only one you'll need for a hearty family meal or St. Patrick's Day dinner. The spices flavor the corned beef brisket perfectly, and the brown sugar and mustard glaze adds a delicious finishing touch. The corned beef is first simmered with potatoes, cabbage, carrots, and turnips and then it's glazed and baked for 10 minutes, resulting in a satisfying dish with rich flavor.
The recipe calls for mixed pickling spices which can be purchased (and sometimes come with the beef brisket) or made from scratch. Feel free to replace some of the carrots with peeled and sliced parsnips, and rutabaga may be substituted for the turnips. You can also make corned beef and cabbage right in your Instant Pot.
- For the Corned Beef:
- 1 (4- to 5-pound) corned beef brisket
- 1 tablespoon mixed pickling spices
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon mustard seed (yellow or brown)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried leaf thyme
- For the Vegetables:
- 6 medium red potatoes (peeled and halved or quartered, depending on size)
- 2 cups baby carrots (or about 4 to 6 medium carrots)
- 6 small turnips (peeled)
- 1 to 2 dozen small boiling onions
- 1 medium cabbage (cut into 8 wedges)
- For the Glaze:
- 1/2 cup brown sugar (packed)
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup prepared mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
Put the corned beef brisket in a large Dutch oven or stockpot and cover with water. Tie the pickling spices, peppercorns, mustard seeds, and thyme in a double thickness of cheesecloth or put them in a small bouquet garni bag. Add the spice bag to the water.
Place the pot over high heat and bring to a boil; reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 2 1/2 hours.
Add the potatoes, carrots, turnips, and peeled onions. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes longer.
Add the cabbage wedges, cover, and simmer for about 15 minutes longer, or until the vegetables are tender. Cover the pan and simmer for about 15 minutes, until the potatoes and other vegetables are tender.
Heat the oven to 375 F/190 C/Gas 5. Transfer the corned beef brisket to a baking pan.
Combine the glaze ingredients in a saucepan. Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes. Spoon over the corned beef
Bake in the preheated oven for about 10 minutes, basting a few times.
Transfer the glazed corned beef to a large serving platter and slice the meat. Arrange the cabbage wedges, potatoes, carrots, onions, and turnips around the sliced brisket.
Serve and enjoy.
Homemade Mixed Pickling Spices
Combine 1 tablespoon of whole mustard seeds with 1 1/2 teaspoons of whole allspice berries, 1 teaspoon of coriander seeds, 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, 1/2 teaspoon of ground ginger, 1 crumbled bay leaf, 1 crumbled cinnamon stick, and 2 or 3 whole cloves. This recipe makes about 3 tablespoons; store leftover in an airtight container in a cool, dark place.
- Add about 1 cup of cubed parsnips (1- to 2-inch pieces) to the vegetables, or replace part of the carrots with cubed parsnips.
- Replace the turnips with cubed rutabaga (1- to 2-inch pieces).
- Use small cippolini onions instead of boiling onions.