|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 4 servings|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 3g||4%|
|Saturated Fat 2g||9%|
|Total Carbohydrate 60g||22%|
|Dietary Fiber 5g||18%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Sweet potatoes are cooked in the skillet with brown sugar and butter, along with other seasonings. This is one of my favorite ways to cook sweet potatoes, and it is especially good with ham or for a holiday meal.
This is a very simple recipe with few ingredients, and it's a nice change of pace from the rich casserole, a sweet potato and marshmallow dish, or something more complicated. If you prefer to keep preparation simple, this is an excellent choice. If you want to jazz the dish up a bit, see the variation ideas below the recipe instructions.
- 3 medium sweet potatoes (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1/2 cup packed light or dark brown sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
Gather the ingredients.
Peel the sweet potatoes and cut them into 1/2-inch to 1-inch thick slices.
Place the sweet potato slices in a saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil and cook for about 12 minutes, or until just tender. Alternatively, roast the sweet potato slices in a 375 F oven for about 25 minutes.
In a heavy skillet, combine brown sugar, water, butter, and salt. Simmer over low heat for 5 minutes.
Add the sliced sweet potatoes to the brown sugar mixture. Simmer for 10 minutes, or until well glazed, turning frequently to keep them from scorching.
- Add 1/2 cup of toasted pecan halves.
- Instead of slicing, dice the sweet potatoes into uniform cubes.
- Replace the 1/3 cup of water with apple cider or apple juice.
- Replace the 1/3 cup of water with orange juice and add some fresh orange zest, if desired.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon to 1 teaspoon of cinnamon, or simmer the sweet potatoes with a cinnamon stick.
- Margarine or bacon drippings may be used instead of butter.
- Camote Baked Sweet Potatoes uses honey and cut-up sweet potatoes.