A simple brown sugar glaze flavors these delicious candied sweet potatoes, and the toasted pecans make the dish extra special.
Add a cinnamon stick or two to the glaze mixture for a spiced flavor.
Use your well-seasoned iron skillet to cook these sweet potatoes, or cook them in a heavy deep skillet or Dutch oven.
- 1 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup brown sugar (packed, light or dark)
- Optional: 2 small cinnamon sticks
- 1/2 cup water (or apple juice)
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup pecan halves
- Peel the sweet potatoes and slice into rounds about 1/4-inch thick. If the potatoes are very thick, cut in half lengthwise before slicing.
- In a large heavy skillet or Dutch oven over medium-low heat, melt the butter.
- When the butter is melted and begins to foam, add the brown sugar, cinnamon sticks, if using, and the water or apple juice. Bring to a simmer.
- Add the sweet potato slices to the sugar mixture and stir to coat well. Cover and simmer, stirring and turning frequently, for about 25 to 30 minutes, or until the sweet potatoes are tender.
- Meanwhile, in a dry skillet over medium heat, toast the pecan halves. Cook the pecans until they begin to brown lightly and smell toasty, turning frequently. Immediately pour the toasted pecans out onto a plate to stop the cooking process.
- Remove the cover from the skillet or Dutch oven and add the toasted pecan halves. Continue cooking -- while gently turning the sweet potatoes frequently -- until the juices are reduced to a thick syrup and the potatoes are nicely glazed. Watch carefully for scorching.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||13 g|
|Saturated Fat||8 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||4 g|
|Dietary Fiber||9 g|