Try this easy recipe for homemade gluten-free and grain-free almond flax cheese crackers, and you will find you will not need to buy store-bought crackers anymore.
This healthy recipe contains zero flour or gum. It is made with simple ingredients: almond meal, healthy ground flax meal, and Parmesan cheese. Egg white holds the mixture together, and it is very easy to roll out.
- 1 cup almond flour (finely ground meal)
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese (finely grated)
- 2 tablespoons flax meal
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon gluten-free savory herb blend
- 1/4 teaspoon gluten-free garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- 1 large egg white
Preheat oven to 350 F/176 C
Combine dry ingredients in a bowl, and stir to blend. Add egg white, and stir until mixture is combined and sticks together.
Turn mixture onto one of the sheets of parchment paper. Form into a ball.
Place the second sheet of parchment paper over the mixture, and use a rolling pin to evenly roll the dough until it is about the thickness of a pie crust, about 1/16-inch thick.
Gently peel back the top sheet of parchment, and use a pizza wheel or large knife to score the dough into squares, rectangles, or strips—whatever shape you like.
Carefully transfer the cracker dough on the parchment paper to a baking sheet and bake in preheated oven for about 15 minutes or until golden brown. Check the crackers after 12 minutes because, when they begin to brown, they brown quickly. If your oven bakes unevenly, turn the baking sheet halfway through the baking time.
Remove from oven, and cool for about 10 minutes before gently breaking the crackers apart.
Store in an airtight container or wrap and freeze.
- Always make sure your work surfaces, utensils, pans, and tools are free of gluten.
- Always read product labels. Manufacturers can change product formulations without notice. When in doubt, do not buy or use a product before contacting the manufacturer for verification that the product is free of gluten.