|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 6g||8%|
|Saturated Fat 1g||3%|
|Total Carbohydrate 10g||4%|
|Dietary Fiber 1g||5%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Healthy and easy to make, this gluten-free almond biscotti recipe is laden with toasted almonds, amaranth flour, and almond meal. Biscotti is a sturdy packable snack, perfect for gluten-free travel or brown bagging.
This recipe is adapted from a recipe by Donna Washburn and Heather Butt's "Cherry Almond Biscotti," which appears in their cookbook Complete Gluten-Free Cookbook.
- 3/4 cup flour (amaranth)
- 1/4 cup almond meal
- 3 tablespoons flour (tapioca)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch (or arrowroot starch)
- 3/4 teaspoon guar gum
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder (gluten-free)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 1/2 cups almonds (toasted, coarsely chopped)
Preheat oven to 325 F
Butter an 8x8 inch baking dish
Combine all dry ingredients except sugar in a medium mixing bowl and use a large whisk to mix thoroughly.
In another mixing bowl, beat eggs and sugar until blended.
Add dry ingredients to eggs and sugar and mix until blended.
Fold in toasted almonds and stir to combine.
Pour into prepared baking dish and bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until just starting to turn golden brown. Cool for 5 minutes.
Use a sharp knife to divide the biscotti into 4 equal pieces. Cut each piece into 6 even slices.
Place biscotti slices on a baking sheet and bake an additional 15 minutes, or until crisp.
Store in an airtight container.
To Toast Almonds
Evenly spread 1 1/2 cups of whole, unblanched raw almonds on a baking sheet. Toast in preheated oven for about 8 to 10 minutes.
- For fresh and convenient almond flour, use a clean electric coffee bean mill to grind your own.
- Always make sure your work surfaces, utensils, pans, and tools are free of gluten. Always read product labels. Manufacturers can change product formulations without notice. When in doubt, do not buy or use a product before contacting the manufacturer for verification that the product is free of gluten.