|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 10g||13%|
|Saturated Fat 2g||8%|
|Total Carbohydrate 11g||4%|
|Dietary Fiber 1g||4%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Apple muffins are great for breakfast, an afternoon snack, or even dessert. This recipe, adapted from The Good Carb Cookbook by Sandra Woodruff, M.S., R.D., can serve up so many opportunities to taste a bit of fall in a delicious gluten-free way. This recipe contains 11 grams of carbs per serving.
Reminder: Always make sure your work surfaces, utensils, pans and tools are free of gluten. Always read product labels. Manufacturers can change product formulations without notice. When in doubt, do not buy or use a product before contacting the manufacturer for verification that the product is free of gluten.
- 2 cups oatmeal (rolled oats, certified gluten-free)
- 2 teaspoons gluten-free baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar (firmly packed)
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt (gluten-free)
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 2 large eggs ( lightly beaten)
- 1 egg white
- 4 tablespoons light olive oil (or canola oil)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 large apple (about one cup, shredded)
- 1/2 cup walnuts (chopped)
- Optional: 1 tablespoon sugar to sprinkle on muffins
- Optional: 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon to sprinkle on muffins
Preheat oven to 350 F.
Use a clean coffee bean grinder to process 2 cups of certified gluten-free oats into oat flour. Depending on the size of your grinder, you may have to do this in batches.
Place oat flour, baking powder, baking soda, brown sugar and cinnamon in a mixing bowl. Whisk to blend.
Lightly beat eggs in a separate small bowl. Add yogurt, apple juice, oil, and vanilla. Whisk to blend and pour into bowl with dry ingredients. Stir to combine thoroughly.
Fold in shredded apple and walnuts. Stir just until blended.
Bake for 16 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean.
Sprinkle hot muffins with cinnamon-sugar mixture and allow muffins to cool for about 10 to 15 minutes before serving.
- Use a cheese grater to shred apple.