A baked custard-like rice pudding recipe which is completely gluten-free. Turn on the oven and bake up this simple dish with milk, sugar, rice, lemon and flavored with cinnamon and raisins. It may be a bit old-fashioned, but that doesn't make it any less delicious if you need a gluten-free dessert or brunch recipe.
- 4 cups milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup rice (uncooked)
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest (zest from one lemon)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 eggs (well beaten)
- 1/2 cup raisins
- Dash cinnamon (or to taste)
- In a large bowl, combine the milk, sugar, rice, lemon peel and salt. Stir to dissolve the sugar.
- Pour into a well buttered 2-quart casserole dish. Set the casserole in a shallow baking pan filled with 1 inch hot water. Bake, uncovered, at 325 degrees for 1 hour.
- Remove from oven and stir well. Continue baking 45 minutes longer. Remove from oven.
- Gradually stir a small amount of hot milk mixture into beaten eggs; stir back into remaining milk mixture in the casserole, blending well. Stir in raisins.
- Return to oven and bake 30 minutes longer, or until the custard is set and the rice is cooked. Remove from water bath. Sprinkle with cinnamon and serve warm.
- This vegetarian rice pudding recipe is gluten-free and wheat-free.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||5 g|
|Saturated Fat||3 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||2 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|