|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
Use your favorite gluten-free bread to make this rich, Southern-style gluten-free bread pudding recipe. You can substitute rum or brandy for the bourbon in the sauce recipe if you like.
- 1/3 cup raisins (or currants)
- 2 tablespoons bourbon (or brandy or rum)
- 2 apples (peeled, cored, sliced 1/4" thick)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon (1/2 teaspoon for apples — 1 1/2 teaspoon for pudding)
- 6 slices of bread (thick slices, cubed, 1/2" gluten-free bread — If you can find Udi's Gluten-Free Whole Grain Bread, use a 12-ounce package in this recipe for a fast, easy and delicious alternative to homemade gluten-free bread.)
- 2 cups heavy cream (or canned coconut milk)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 eggs (lightly beaten)
- 2 tablespoons butter (melted)
- For Sauce:
- 1/2 cup brown sugar (firmly packed)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup heavy cream (or coconut milk)
- 1 pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons bourbon (or brandy)
Preheat oven to 325° F / 163° C
Generously butter a 9x9-inch baking dish
Combine raisins and 2 tablespoons bourbon or brandy in a small bowl. Soak for 20 minutes. Drain and reserve liquor.
Sauté sliced apples with maple syrup and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon over medium-low heat until translucent, but not mushy, about 8 minutes. Set aside.
Place bread cubes in a large mixing bowl.
Heat cream (or coconut milk) and sugar over medium-high heat until sugar dissolves.
Remove from heat. Pour hot cream (or coconut milk) and sugar mixture over bread cubes. Cool.
Lightly beat eggs in a small bowl. Add 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon, vanilla, and liquor reserved from soaking raisins. Pour over bread cube mixture and fold in.
Add melted butter and prepared apples and fold in.
Let mixture sit for about 10 minutes.
Pour bread pudding mixture into buttered baking dish.
Bake for 45 minutes or until the pudding is golden brown and set.
To Make Bourbon Sauce:
Melt butter in a heavy saucepan over medium-high heat.
Add sugar, cream (or coconut milk) and salt.
Bring to a boil and immediately remove from heat.
Stir in bourbon and vanilla.
Tip: Gluten-Free Bread Pudding and Bourbon Sauce can be made up to two days before serving. Reheat until warm and serve.
Reminder: Always make sure your work surfaces, utensils, pans, and tools are free of gluten. Always read product labels. Manufacturers can change product formulations without notice. When in doubt, do not buy or use a product before contacting the manufacturer for verification that the product is free of gluten.