Is there anything better in the summer than spooning a pile of warm, fruit crumble into a bowl and top with a scoop of cold vanilla ice cream? Summer bliss.
Fruit crumbles are one of my favorite desserts to make in the summer (well, any time of year, really). Apple Crumble is how we hang onto summer as we start to make that slide into fall around late August.
This buttery-rich gluten-free apple crumble is a delicious, easy alternative to apple pie. It's just as flavorful, but without the fuss of making gluten-free pie crust (because honestly, sometimes we just can't be bothered!)
Serve with vanilla ice cream or dairy-free ice cream over top for an extra dreamy treat.
This recipe was adapted to gluten-free diets from a recipe which appears in the cookbook Cooking Light - Holiday Cookbook, Buttery Apple Crumble.
- 10 cups peeled, cored and sliced apples
- 2 tsp gluten-free vanilla extract, divided
- 1/2 cup orange juice OR apple cider
- 1/4 cup granulated cane sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp arrowroot powder OR cornstarch
- 1 1/4 cups certified gluten-free oats
- 3/4 cup gluten-free all-purpose baking mix, preferably without added xanthan or guar gum (use your favorite mix - we used Arrowhead Mills Gluten-FreeAll-PurposeBaking Mix with excellent results)
- 1/2 cup packed brown cane sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 375 F / 190 C
- Butter or coat a 9x13-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- Prepare apples. Place in a large bowl and add 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, juice, granulated sugar and arrowroot powder or cornstarch. Stir to thoroughly coat apples.
- In a separate bowl combine gluten-free all-purpose baking mix, certified gluten-free oats, brown cane sugar, cinnamon, and salt.
- Add melted butter and remaining teaspoon vanilla extract. Stir to blend mixture.
- Spoon apples into prepared baking pan. Sprinkle the crumble mixture evening over the apples. Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake additional 30 minutes, or until the top is golden and bubbling.
- Remove crumble from oven and let cool for at least 15 minutes.
- Serve warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or dairy-free ice cream over top.
Reminder: Always make sure your work surfaces, utensils, pans and tools are free of gluten. Always read product labels to confirm the product is gluten-free. Manufacturers can change product formulations without notice. When in doubt, do not buy or use a product before contacting the manufacturer for verification that the product is free of gluten.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||1 g|
|Saturated Fat||0 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||0 g|
|Dietary Fiber||4 g|