Carob is a delicious substitute for cocoa in brownie recipes. Carob powder is naturally sweeter than cocoa powder and is a good source of calcium, magnesium, iron, potassium, and selenium. Look for roasted carob powder in health food stores and large grocery stores.
Note: Chatfield's Carob Powder is manufactured on equipment used to process milk, eggs, soybeans, tree nuts, shellfish, fish oil, and peanuts.
- 1/2 cup gluten-free all purpose flour (homemade or your favorite brand)
- 6 tablespoons roasted carob powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cane sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Optional: 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (or pecans)
- Optional: 1 tablespoon gluten-free powdered sugar (to sprinkle on baked brownies)
- Preheat oven:
- 350 F/176 C for a metal pan
- 325 F / 163 C for a glass baking dish
- Grease an 8x8-inch baking pan.
- Place dry ingredients in a bowl and whisk to thoroughly combine. Set aside.
- In another large mixing bowl, combine butter and sugar. Use an electric beater or stand mixer to cream the mixture until fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla and beat until combined.
- Add dry ingredients and nuts (optional). Beat just until wet and dry ingredients are combined. Scrape brownie mixture into prepared baking pan.
- Bake in a metal pan for about 25 minutes at 350 F/176 C
- Bake in a glass pan for about 35 minutes at 325 F/163 C.
- Watch cooking times carefully. When a toothpick inserted into the center of the baking dish comes out clean brownies are done. Don't overbake or brownies will be hard!
- Cool for at least 15 minutes before cutting. When cooled sprinkle with gluten-free powdered sugar (optional).
Reminder: Always make sure your work surfaces, utensils, pans, and tools are free of gluten. Always read product labels. Manufacturers can change product formulations without notice. When in doubt, do not buy or use a product before contacting the manufacturer for verification that the product is free of gluten.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||19 g|
|Saturated Fat||8 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||5 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|