Gluten-Free Chicken a la King is a creamy delicious gluten-free entree made with homemade gluten-free Velouté sauce.
Don't let the French name scare you - velouté (veh loo TAY) is a simple white stock sauce that's easy to make using sweet rice flour.
Use leftover roasted or grilled cubed chicken in this gluten-free kid-friendly recipe for a 30-minute dinner dish.
Edited by Stephanie Kirkos, August 2016
- For the Velouté Sauce:
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 5 tablespoons gluten-free sweet rice flour
- 2 cups gluten-free chicken broth
- 2/3 cup heavy cream OR half and half
- 2 lightly beaten egg yolks
- Salt to taste
- For the Chicken a la King:
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter OR olive oil
- 3 cups cooked cubed chicken
- 2 finely sliced green onions with tops
- 4-ounce jar pimentos with liquid
- 1 cup thawed frozen peas
- 1/4 cup dry sherry
- 3 cups Velouté sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Pinch cayenne pepper (optional)
- 2 tablespoons minced parsley (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 6-8 slices toasted, buttered gluten-free bread
Prepare Velouté sauce:
- Melt butter in heavy saucepan on medium heat.
- Whisk in sweet rice flour to make a smooth paste. Constantly whisk for one minute.
- Pour in gluten-free chicken stock and whisk to thoroughly combine.
- Cook over medium heat until sauce is smooth and creamy, about 2 minutes. Add cream and whisk to combine.
- Lightly beat egg yolks in a separate small bowl.
- Add 2 tablespoons of the hot chicken mixture to the beaten egg yolks, then whisk to combine. Slowly drizzle egg yolk mixture into the saucepan and whisk.
- Add salt, to taste, and constantly whisk over medium high heat for about 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
Prepare Gluten-Free Chicken a la King:
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in another large heavy saucepan. Add cooked cubed chicken and slicked green onions and cook over medium high heat for 2 minutes.
- Add entire jar of pimentos with liquid, thawed peas and dry sherry. Stir to combine.
- Pour Velouté sauce over chicken mixture and stir to combine.
- Add smoked paprika and cayenne (optional.) Stir to combine and cook over medium high heat for about 3 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste.
- To serve, toast 6-8 slices of your favorite gluten-free bread. Butter and spoon hot gluten-free chicken a la king over gluten-free toast. Garnish with minced parsley (optional).
Reminder: Always make sure your work surfaces, utensils, pans and tools are free of gluten. Always read product labels. Manufacturers can change product formulations without notice. When in doubt, do not buy or use a product before contacting the manufacturer for verification that the product is free of gluten.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||31 g|
|Saturated Fat||15 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||10 g|
|Dietary Fiber||4 g|