|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 20-24 Muffins (20-24 Servings)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 9g||12%|
|Saturated Fat 3g||15%|
|Total Carbohydrate 17g||6%|
|Dietary Fiber 1g||5%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This recipe for gluten-free chocolate zucchini muffins comes courtesy of Fiona Haynes, our expert to Low Fat Cooking. Fiona cooks for a gluten-free family member and says that even her gluten-eating kids love this recipe.
Fiona makes a quick bread with this recipe, great for breakfast or an after-school snack. We made muffins because they are easy to pack for a healthy away-from-home snack.
- 2 cups sorghum flour (or gluten-free all purpose flour mix)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons xanthan gum (don't add gum if using a GF flour mix that contains xanthan gum or guar gum)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup sugar (granulated)
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup canola oil (or light olive oil)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup low fat sour cream (for dairy free version substitute applesauce or tofu for sour cream)
- 3 cups zucchini (shredded)
- 3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (gluten-free)
Preheat oven to 350 F / 176 C.
Spray two 8-inch loaf pans OR two 12-cup muffin tins with nonstick cooking spray
Place flour, xanthan gum, salt, baking soda and cocoa powder in a medium bowl. Use a wire whisk to combine.
In a large bowl, place oil, sugars, eggs, and vanilla and mix with an electric hand mixer until fluffy. Stir in sour cream (or dairy free substitute) and shredded zucchini. Stir flour mixture into batter until just combined. Fold in chocolate chips.
Divide batter between prepared loaf or muffin pans and bake for 50 minutes for loaves or 25 to 30 minutes for muffins or until a toothpick inserted in the center of loaf or muffin comes out clean.
Allow cooling on wire rack for 10 minutes before turning out.
Yields about 24 muffins or 8 to 10 slices per loaf
Reminder: Always make sure your work surfaces, utensils, pans and tools are free of gluten. Always read product labels. Manufacturers can change product formulations without notice. When in doubt, do not buy or use a product before contacting the manufacturer for verification that the product is free of gluten.