Coconut Custard Pie is one of those throwback desserts that make me feel nostalgic for the past, to simpler days and slow, sweet southern living.
This lush and delicious gluten-free and dairy-free Coconut Custard Pie is a take on the crustless pie recipes popular about 30 years ago.
Fluffy and light, it is the perfect dessert for busy cooks. No prepping a gluten-free buttery pie crust required, just combine the ingredients and pour into a pie dish. Easy as...pie.
Light coconut milk in this recipe makes for an even dreamier coconut flavored treat. I love the version sold by Trader Joe's, but there are many out there today you can choose from.
For an ever richer vanilla flavor, try vanilla paste instead of extract. Vanilla paste is one of my favorite baking ingredients, the flavor and aroma of vanilla so much more potent and noticeable in recipes.
In place of tapioca starch, you can substitute 1/4 cup of your favorite gluten-free flour blend in this recipe, preferably one without added xanthan or guar gum.
Enjoy a slice of this pie on a summery day, perhaps even in a rocker on the front porch with a glass of sweet tea. Bring it back to the slow days of summer, savoring every moment (and bite).
- 3 large eggs (plus 2 egg yolks)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp sweet rice flour
- 2 tbsp tapioca starch (y
- ou can substitute 1/4 cup of your favorite gluten-free flour blend in this recipe, preferably one without added xanthan or guar gum).
- 1 tsp gluten-free vanilla extract (or paste)
- 1 1/2 cups canned light coconut milk
- 2 tbsp softened dairy-free butter substitute (Such as Earth Balance Vegan Sticks)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 cup flaked sweetened coconut
- Preheat oven to 350° F / 176° C.
- Beat eggs with sugar in a large mixing bowl.
- Add gluten-free flours, vanilla, coconut milk, softened dairy-free butter substitute, salt, and flaked coconut. Beat just until ingredients are combined.
- Pour pie mixture into an ungreased 9-inch pie plate.
- Bake in preheated oven until custard is set and coconut turns golden brown, about 45 minutes.
Reminder: Always make sure your work surfaces, utensils, pans and tools are free of gluten.
Always read product labels to confirm the product is gluten-free. Manufacturers can change product formulations without notice. When in doubt, do not buy or use a product before contacting the manufacturer for verification that the product is free of gluten.