|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 28 large cookies (28 servings)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 13g||16%|
|Saturated Fat 8g||39%|
|Total Carbohydrate 21g||8%|
|Dietary Fiber 1g||3%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Curl up with a hot cup of tea and a stack of crunchy, buttery, gluten-free oatmeal cookies made with toasted coconut and fresh ground gluten-free oat flour.
You can use packaged gluten-free oat flour in this recipe or you can easily prepare your own by grinding gluten-free oats in a clean coffee bean grinder.
Make a double batch of dough and refrigerate or freeze for convenient, crunchy, toasty gluten-free cookies anytime.
Edited by Stephanie Kirkos, August 2016
- 1 1/2 cups coconut (toasted, unsweetened, large-flaked)
- 1 1/4 cup oats (freshly ground, gluten-free, rolled oats. See cook's note below)
- 1/2 cup starch ( tapioca)
- 1/4 cup flour (all purpose gluten-free mix)
- 1 teaspoon guar gum
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups sugar (brown, firmly packed)
- 1 1/2 cups butter (or 3/4 cup butter and 3/4 cup coconut oil)
- 2 medium eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract (gluten-free)
- Note: You can use packaged gluten-free oat flour in this recipe or you can easily prepare your own by grinding gluten-free oats in a clean coffee bean grinder. To prepare 1 1/4 cups oat flour, add approximately 1 1/3 - 1 1/2 cups of gluten-free oats in small batches and pulse to grind.
Preheat oven to 350º F
Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or lightly oil.
Toast flaked coconut on a large baking sheet for about 5 minutes or until golden. This burns every quickly so watch carefully.
Cream butter, sugar, eggs and extracts in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy.
In a separate bowl, mix all dry ingredients together. Whisk until blended.
Add dry ingredients (except rolled oats and toasted coconut) to sugar mixture and beat on low just until dough is well blended.
Stir in rolled oats and toasted coconut.
Use a 1/8 cup measuring cup or a measuring spoon to scoop dough and drop on prepared baking sheet. Space cookies at least 2 inches apart.
Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on baking sheet briefly before transferring to a cooling rack.
Tip: Use a small electric coffee bean grinder to make fresh oat flour. Add 1/2 cup at a time to the coffee bean grinder and briefly pulse until rolled oats are ground.
You can can cut sugar to 1 1/2 cups without a big difference in taste.
Reminder: Always make sure your work surfaces, utensils, pans and tools are free of gluten. Always read product labels. Manufacturers can change product formulations without notice. When in doubt, do not buy or use a product before contacting the manufacturer for verification that the product is free of gluten.