Gluten-free crab cakes are delicious and easy to make using ready-made gluten-free crackers. Make large crab cakes as an entree or mini-crab cakes for out-of-the-ordinary appetizers.
Always make sure your work surfaces, utensils, pans, and tools are free of gluten. Always read product labels. Manufacturers can change product formulations without notice. When in doubt, do not buy or use a product before contacting the manufacturer for verification that the product is free of gluten.
- 1 pound crab meat (preferably lump)
- 1 small bell pepper (finely diced)
- 1 small onion (sweet yellow, finely diced)
- 2 to 3 large cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 15 gluten-free crackers (coarsely crushed)
- 1 large egg (lightly beaten)
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard (not dry)
- 1 teaspoon gluten-free Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour (gluten-free, for dusting crab cakes before frying)
- Dash salt (or to taste)
- Dash pepper (or to taste)
- Optional: 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 2 to 3 tablespoons of olive oil (for pan frying crab cakes)
Saute minced pepper, onion, and garlic in olive oil for about 4 minutes on medium heat. Do not brown. Place crackers in a plastic bag and coarsely crush with a rolling pin or round drinking glass.
Combine crab meat, sauteed vegetables, crushed crackers, egg, mayonnaise, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and Old Bay seasoning and thoroughly combine with a large spatula.
Shape crab cakes.
Place gluten-free all-purpose flour in a shallow dish. Add salt, pepper, and paprika (optional) to taste. Dust each cake lightly with flour and pan fry in olive oil over medium-high heat until golden brown on each side.