|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Servings: 2 to 3|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 28g||35%|
|Saturated Fat 16g||78%|
|Total Carbohydrate 19g||7%|
|Dietary Fiber 2g||8%|
|Total Sugars 6g|
|Vitamin C 5mg||25%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Homemade gluten-free cream soups aren't hard to make, and gluten-free sweet rice flour is an excellent thickener. Gluten-free cream of mushroom soup with a creamy fresh flavor takes less than 20 minutes to make. It's simply prepared with mushrooms, onions, garlic, and cream, uses gluten-free flour and chicken broth, then topped with fresh basil.
Gluten-free cream of mushroom soup is a versatile recipe because you can use it to make classic dishes like gluten-free tuna casserole and other casserole dishes.
If eating as a soup, enjoy it with a tossed salad for a complete meal.
"This gluten-free soup comes together very quickly and is a good canvas for other flavors and ingredients. The sweet rice flour works just as well as wheat flour in thickening the soup. The soup is smooth and not grainy at all." —Young Sun Huh
8 ounces fresh mushrooms, thinly sliced
1/4 cup small dice sweet onions
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/4 cup gluten-free sweet rice flour
1 cup low-sodium, gluten-free chicken broth
1 cup light cream, or whole milk
Salt, or to taste
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Fresh basil, for garnish, optional
Steps to Make It
Gather the ingredients.
Sauté mushrooms, onions, and garlic with butter in a 3-quart saucepan over medium heat until mostly tender, about 10 minutes.
Sprinkle gluten-free sweet rice flour over vegetables and stir to blend the rice flour into the mixture. Continue to cook while stirring for 2 minutes.
Gradually add the gluten-free chicken broth and stir to blend.
Add cream and continue to cook over medium heat until soup thickens.
Season with salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with basil, if using, and serve.
Reminder: Always make sure your work surfaces, utensils, pans, and tools are free of gluten. Always read product labels. Manufacturers can change product formulations without notice. When in doubt, do not buy or use a product before contacting the manufacturer for verification that the product is free of gluten.
How to Store and Freeze
- If you have leftovers and are planning on using them within three days, just put your soup in the refrigerator in an airtight container. Remember to do this within two hours, even if it is still slightly warm.
- Freeze your soup by putting it into an airtight plastic container or freezer bag. Plan to use it within three months.
- Add a good amount of paprika with the mushrooms and garnish with a dollop of sour cream and parsley for a Hungarian-style mushroom soup.
- Almost any herb, such as thyme, parsley, dill, and chives, would work well with this soup,
- Spike the soup with a little sherry or cognac for a sophisticated addition.